Router connection problems

Reaction score
I bought a Linksys wrt160N router and hooked it up to my DSL line with my home PC. Some days I can connect no problem and other times I can't connect. Any suggestion? Thinking about taken it back and getting the apple airport extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum - In some respects the Airport is easier to set up but you will still have to deal with the router config as the airport does not have a Modem. Make sure the Linksys is handing out DHCP and the Network settings are Using DHCP. that should help for a start;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Glad to hear that, DHCP is a lifesaver if you don't like manually assigning addresses.

OP
C
Reaction score
Still does not work right, I can only get a connection about every other attempt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
to my DSL line with my home PC. Some days I can connect no problem and other times I can't connect.

So u have a PC and a Mac? Are we talking wireless here or ethernet?

OP
C
Reaction score
I have the PC hard wired with an ethernet cable connected to the DSL modem. I then hooked up the Linksys wireless router, I then connect to the wireless with my mac book pro 13". Everything works fine for the most part, but several times during the day I can not connect with the Mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, first off I did not realize my DSL modem had wireless capabilities. With that said I disconnected my linksys and worked off the 2wire modem with help from ATT. I got connected with my macbook pro for a while and then my connection dropped later in the day and only came back after restarting my macbook several times. Does anyone know if this is a software or hardware problem? I was going to try the airport extreme to see if apple talking to apple would help.

OP
C
Reaction score
I decided to try replacing my linksys wrt160n router with an airport extreme 8 days ago to see if that would help me my wireless connection. I am happy to report I have had no problems with my connection now. I tested it by leaving my macbook in sleep mode and then awakening it a couple hours later and got right on the internet. I hope this fixed my problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.