powerbook 15 inch and sleep mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
is it true my powerbook SHOULD go to sleep when i close the lid?
because it doesn't. and i never thought it was strange until i spoke to a friend.
so, is it not normal then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
All apple laptops indeed should go to sleep when you close the lid. It takes about 1-3 seconds for it to go to sleep. As well, I believe if you have an external display attached, it will not go to sleep. Do you?

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh oh
no i don't have an external screen.
why doesn't it go to sleep then??
i have had the lid/screen changed a while back but i don't see how that could have influenced anything here.
should i go to apple?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you select the sleep option under the Apple menu, does your system go to sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
hmm...does the screen even turn off when you shut the lid? Maybe it's not seeing that the lid is closed...

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ApplejustWorks said:
hmm...does the screen even turn off when you shut the lid? Maybe it's not seeing that the lid is closed...

no. like i said, the lid/screen have been replaced and i have been having problems with the lock (it often opens if i carry my pb vertically).
does it have a sensor there? aaarh *** is wrong with it >_<

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have Apple care, or still under warranty? If so, take it in and have it checked.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
If you select the sleep option under the Apple menu, does your system go to sleep?

sorry didn't notice your post before.
yes it does.
and yes i have a warranty but it's running out in a couple of weeks and i need my pb daily since i'm graduating soon. aaarh gonna have to figure out how to handle this.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What ever you do, get it checked before the warranty expires. See you can log the complaint and take the system in later. In that let Apple see the problem and write it up. Next see if you can return to have it fixed at a later date. Also see if you can get a loaner, while it is being fixed. You may need to talk with a supervisor for this.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
What ever you do, get it checked before the warranty expires. See you can log the complaint and take the system in later. In that let Apple see the problem and write it up. Next see if you can return to have it fixed at a later date. Also see if you can get a loaner, while it is being fixed. You may need to talk with a supervisor for this.

hmmm i'll look into that. thanks a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.