Is it just me with Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Quite a catchy name for the email program that comes with Snow Leopard - Mail.

I am about to change back to Thunderbird that I know works consistently. I am an Apple newbie but Mail seems to be underdeveloped.

1. To make a new account, it doesn't ask if you want Pop or IMap. It just goes ahead with IMap with no method of changing, either during or later, that I can find. If it finds an IMap server, that is what you are going to get, period. I can find no way of forcing a POP account. My nephew says that this has changed from version 3, where a selection box came up during account building.

2. The mailboxes are named for the service being used. i.e. Gmail, Gmail2, Hotmail and so forth. There is a menu item for renaming them, but it is grayed out and I have discovered no way to enable it.

3. The docs that I link to at Apple are dated 2004 and in no way match. I am sure that the 2010 docs are there somewhere, but the HELP menu should find them without me googling around.

4. If the service you are trying to get to doesn't support IMap, it will eventually error out and allow you to select POP, but it labels the account as IMap forevermore.

Don't care for it at this point.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Something is wrong. I have never had it make an IMAP account when setting up my 6 email accounts. Never once. I have never had that happen with 10 different Macs with from 10.2-10.6 installed.

Not sure what is happening but I will search around and get back if I find an answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
I too am a little confused with the email in SL. Long time user of Thunderbird myself, and at the moment, struggling to add folders for my emails, "Incoming Saved" I would like to add, but can't figure it out, so I too maybe reverting to TB again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ Mickyfin

Are you trying o add separate mailboxes so that you can organize your Mail? If so try going to Mail's Mailbox menu and choose New Mailbox. Options will appear that let you create a new mailbox (folder) and decide where in the Mail sidebar it will appear. You might want to check out Smart Mailboxes as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Thats correct, and I did try that, but I still couldn't place my folder where I wanted it, it only allowed me to put the folder in GMAIL.

I will have another play around with it as see if I can figure it out, failing that, I have just downloaded TB, but would like to get mail sorted if possible.

Thanks for your reply.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Ok. I got to play with an older Mac Mini that still has Mail 3.x on it and that version is more like a normal email package. When you want to make a new account, you get a list of parameters to fill out the way you want, rather than a "wizard" that assumes that it knows better than you.

And, notice that there is no account delete feature in Mail 4. You can delete the folder, dump the mail and disable the account, but not totally wipe out the account. Actually, you can eventually, but you have to do it from underneath the GUI.

Comparing the two, Apple really yanked out many of the user settable options and features between 3 and 4. Not an improvement. Somebody needs to tell Jobs to look in on the Mail programming section more often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes. It is just you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.