• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

In need of better screen recorder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
I am currently using ScreenFlow. It works fine for capturing most things but I need to record my screen while playing an online Java game. I would like to use my Mac to record, edit and publish videos onto Youtube. In this game there is usually quite a bit going on so if there is a screen recorder better at capturing things such as this, I'd really like to know more about it. I am willing to pay for one as long as I can test it first, but anything that is free and does the job would be preferred.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I've used them all as a trainer and producer of training videos. ScreenFlow is the best. Not sure what you don't like about it. It allows you to edit and save in various formats. You may want to get QuickTime Pro for converting things into various formats. SnapzProX is nice, but a bit bulkier, and slower the ScreenFlow, and no editing capability built in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.