accessing work between user accounts

D

Dogtank

I'm working on my final project on Final Cut Pro, which means it's due ASAP.

BUT Final Cut Pro is shutting down whenever it does anything. (It used to be when it did big stuff, like rendering -- now scrolling really fast will shut it down.)

I, being a lifelong PC user and still ignorant and afraid of my new Mac, had the brainfart to create a new user account.

My new user account can do all kinds of wonderfully complex things without Final Cut Pro turning itself off, but all my work is in my old user account.

Is there any way to access my project in my other account? (If it matters, I'm using OS 10.2 on a G5.)

Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You would need to change the permissions on your project so that the new user can see them. You can try moving the data to a more public area or disk partition.

OP
D

Dogtank

rman said:
You would need to change the permissions on your project so that the new user can see them. You can try moving the data to a more public area or disk partition.

Can you tell me how to change the permissions? That sounds safer than moving data around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The easiest way would be to put things in the Shared folder; no permissions changes needed.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you move your data to the shared folder, don't forget to resync your data in final cut.

As for changing the permissions on your project files, it would be a long and tire some process. In that you may have to open up several folders and change each, before you get it to work.

I would try moving the data first.

OP
D

Dogtank

rman said:
If you move your data to the shared folder, don't forget to resync your data in final cut.

All right, you've convinced me to move it. How do I resync data? Do you mean, manually select the new location to open the files from?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, if I remember correctly there is a place to tell final cut where project files and other data is located.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.