Can I Upgrade the ram on my Macbook pro Unibody gradually?

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 13" from mid 2009 I was wondering if I can add a 4gb ram and still use one of the 2gb pieces that came with it for a total of 6gb before upgrading to 8gb.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There are only 2 slots for RAM on MBPs. There are 4 on the new Imacs. 4 to 8 on the Mac Pros depending on how many cores the computer has.

Kind of misread your post.

Yeah you can. >_>"

OP
K
Reaction score
yeah, I get that but my MBP has 2x 2gb ram cards so can I remove one of them now to add a 4 gb one and then remove the other to add another 4 gb one when I have the money for another 4 gb card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Of course you can. Use the two slots as you see fit. Personally, I think it's a great idea, but only if you really need 8 gigs to begin with !

Might I ask what apps you run, which you think 6 gigs isn't capable of handling ? I only ask because it might make a bit more sense to save your mone for an entirely more powerful machine, rather than try to max out one which still might not do it for you.

Are you doing heavy video or 3D rendering ?

Doug

OP
K
Reaction score
true enough Doug maybe my money would be better spent on upgrading to a 256 SSD although Apple does seem to be planning something for later this month so maybe I'll wait to see what Steve and the Boys have been upto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wait till the end of the month. You most certainly be able to use a 4gb stick along with a 2gb stick...as mentioned above. But who knows what will be unveiled at the next show. It's not too far ahead, so waiting is worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I agree with the others. Save your money for a more powerful machine. Unless you are doing really heavy video editing or something like that, 4gb or 6gb of ram should be plenty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.