Connect Wireless Router to Existing Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB
I live in a campus-owned house with no wireless, but four wired ports. I would like to connect a wireless router to it, but have it still be on the school network. How would I do this, is it easy? Has anyone done something like this before? I am planning on getting a non-Apple router btw.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
It should automatically work. Make sure its on DHCP and thats it. The only settings you need to change is the network's name and password if you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you want it to be future proof for your use then i would think seriously about an Apple Express or Extreme - easier to configure and much better with iChat should you want to use it later. The Modem that is already there should be handing out the DHCP so just set it to Bridge mode;

Click for full size

OP
seanje
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB
It should automatically work. Make sure its on DHCP and thats it. The only settings you need to change is the network's name and password if you want.

Do you know anything about using a wireless acces point (WAP) instead, would that be easier? What's the difference between a WAP and using a router in DHCP mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
A router with wireless capabilities will automatically serve as a Wireless Access Point. DHCP is a protocol which automatically assigns IP addresses to devices connected to your router/WAP. It is used in both wired and wireless networks. DHCP assigns dynamic IP addresses (address changes). Some routers also let you set static IP addresses (addresses do not change) which can help if you have a server connected.

For a cheap and inexpensive router, I would consider the following:
Amazon.com: Linksys by Cisco WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router: Electronics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.