External Antenna? Way to boost my MBP Wireless reception?

Reaction score
Hi, first post here, been having some problems with wireless strength at my house, been looking into getting an external antenna like D-Link RangeBooster N USB Adapter but don't know if that would help or if it would even work.

I am running an airport extreme that I cannot move, and cannot alter, as it is my roommates and they are very picky about it. Is there anything I could plug into my MBP that would allow me to receive stronger signals?

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
The easiest thing to do was to place his router higher than it is now. Another option is buying and airport extreme and using it as an "extender".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
but the airport that looks like a charger that you plug in your wall...that should help a lot!! Airport Express

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hi, first post here, been having some problems with wireless strength at my house, been looking into getting an external antenna like D-Link RangeBooster N USB Adapter but don't know if that would help or if it would even work.

I am running an airport extreme that I cannot move, and cannot alter, as it is my roommates and they are very picky about it. Is there anything I could plug into my MBP that would allow me to receive stronger signals?

Thanks for any help!

Which Extreme do u have the square one or round one? I had 2 round ones to get a good signal from a building 112 feet away and the first one had a Dr Bot Antenna. When i replaced them with a square single antenna 11n that unit did the job no trouble with no extra antenna.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regardless what Airport Extreme you have, you can use another one to plug it into the wall within the first Airport's range, therefore extending the original network via the second Airport

OP
F
Reaction score
Just found an old Airport Express laying around my parents house, its from 2004 model number A1084, will this work with the new Airport Extreme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it turns on and functions properly than yes it will work. I am not sure but you might be able to do this with any wireless router. Dont hold me onto that though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.