How do I send email attachments?

Reaction score
I used Macs years ago. Now I just bought an iMac and am switching. I plan on using Parallels to do it. It the meantime, I am trying to familiarize myself with my beautiful new machine!

I wrote something in Pages and sent it as an email attachment and none of my PC friends are able to open it. So then I put it on a flash drive and tried to open it in Word on my PC so I could send it and it wouldn't open.

I don't see any options in Pages to save to other formats that might be compatible.

What is the story on this? Can I send attachments from the Mac and can they be opened? Will I have to wait until I migrate my PC programs over?

Also, Is there a thread on this forum about Parallels?

Thank you for your interest in this post, and your response (I hope). :D

Reaction score
I used Macs years ago. Now I just bought an iMac and am switching. I plan on using Parallels to do it. It the meantime, I am trying to familiarize myself with my beautiful new machine!

I wrote something in Pages and sent it as an email attachment and none of my PC friends are able to open it. So then I put it on a flash drive and tried to open it in Word on my PC so I could send it and it wouldn't open.

I don't see any options in Pages to save to other formats that might be compatible.

What is the story on this? Can I send attachments from the Mac and can they be opened? Will I have to wait until I migrate my PC programs over?

Also, Is there a thread on this forum about Parallels?

Thank you for your interest in this post, and your response (I hope). :D

I believe you need to "export" instead of "save".

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes, you need to use Export rather than Save or Save As. You will be asked to choose an export format, PDF, Word, RTF, or Text. If they are going to edit the file you send them choose either Word or RTF. The Text option will loose the most formatting.

Once the file is exported you're ready to launch Mail, compose your message, and attach, the file you just created. When you click the "Attach" button in Mail you will be asked which files you want to attach. For good measure click the "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" option.

OP
G
Reaction score
This is so helpful. Now I can do it. I tried it and it works fine. I wonder why this isn't included in the tutorials that Applke has for Pages.

My sister just went back to a PC because she had this problem and thought it was impossible to send an attachment from her Mac and have people be able to view it!

This forum is the greatest. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
My sister just went back to a PC because she had this problem and thought it was impossible to send an attachment from her Mac and have people be able to view it!

WOW ! Thats all I have......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.