I Feel Cheated By the Magic Mouse

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a big fan of Apple's Magic Mouse, I really am.

I am not sure when I started using this set of battery, but I am guessing it is from about a month ago or more. Anyway, up until yesterday afternoon, the battery indicator was still showing a healthy 82% on my Magic Mouse - yeah, it's that powerful. Later on at night at around midnight, an indicator appeared on screen and told me that I was low on battery. I checked, and I fell to 15% in a matter of hours.

I turned it off and on again immediately, and I gained back to about 18%. I didn't think too much about it since I was going to sleep anyway, so I turned it off and went to bed. Now, I JUST woke up, and my Apple's Magic Mouse is back up to 75% all over again! I was elated, and started using it regularly like how I would. After about fifteen minutes, I am back down to 15% again.

I know wireless mice eats up battery power, but I do also remember being promised 4 months of battery life.

What the **** is this?

Update: Five minutes ago, it dropped from 15% to 0%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
I bought a Magic Mouse about two days after they were released. (And absolutely love it!) I'm a fairly heavy user and have replaced the batteries twice now. Batteries wear out but a month does seem short. I'd imagine the differences you're seeing are due to unstable, possibly faulty batteries. A new set is probably in order.

The Magic Mouse uses up batteries at about the same pace as a couple of Logitech wireless mice I've used for several years...which based on it's capabilities seems quite reasonable.

That said, there certainly could be a problem with the mouse, but i'd wager a new set of good quality batteries will take care of things.

BTW, and no offense, but who on earth "promised" four months of battery life? How could anyone possibly know how much anyone would use a mouse and exactly how? Whoever it was sounds like a used car salesman IMHO. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I have the new VARTA rechargeables and when one set gets low then slip the other set in for a top up - quick swap and away. Works for me and i am a big fan of the magic mouse - love that scroll with momentum. Don't even turn it off at night - just drop it on its cradle and batteries seem to last weeks - must Log it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
...Don't even turn it off at night - just drop it on its cradle and batteries seem to last weeks - must Log it.
Mine must feel abused...I don't even tuck it in...just leave it sitting on my desk at night. :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.