Unable to repair hard disk! Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 2.1 GHz, 2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB hard drive, OS X 10.4.11
I have been having trouble with a slow computer so I did a repair Permissions and then I did a Verify Disk and it showed disk errors and said that the Volume Needed Repair. This was followed by: "ERROR: THE UNDERLYING TASK FAILED ON EXIT". The Repair Disk button does not go hot and I am unable to repair my disk. I have tried a few strategies; turned off computer and modem then restarted and only opened disk utility and performed Verify Disk with the same error message. In my Volume display it shows my hard drive then Macintosh HD and I have verified both separately with the same result. Any ideas where to go from here? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
See your 'super slow browser' thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In short to repair the drive you need to boot from your system install DVD, and go into Utilities > Disk utility > Repair Disk from there. It is not possible to repair a drive you are booted from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.