Start up chord

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macBook, 2.4 ghz, 2Gb RAM,250Gb,
Is there any way I can turn off or disable that irritating chord that sounds out when I turn my MBP on? I'd prefer it to boot up as quietly as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You do realize that that that "irritating" sound serves a purpose, right? It tells you that the system has successfully passed the initial hardware startup test and will now beginning to load the OS from the disc. If you boot and don't hear it, you know you have a problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You do realize that that that "irritating" sound serves a purpose, right? It tells you that the system has successfully passed the initial hardware startup test and will now beginning to load the OS from the disc. If you boot and don't hear it, you know you have a problem.

As a long-time Mac user I find the absence of that sound disturbing. I did an upgrade on a G5 once and then spent an hour or more trying to figure out why I wasn't hearing any startup sound. No broken glass sound just no sound. Turns out I hand re-connected my external speaker to the headphone port but never powered up the speaker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.