How to display image on screen of old school Apple II or similar

Reaction score
I want to get an oldschool apple for my office as a decoration. An Apple II or Se30, or something else like that.

I had the idea that if I found one that could power up (seen lots on eBay) I could maybe find a way to display an image on the screen. Pixelated company logo for example. I realize the resolution and color capabilities are very limited, but I could make some pixel art :)

I have no idea about these oldschool computers. What file formats would they work with, and how would I go about getting it to display full size on the screen?

Could I load it on a floppy and open the file on the computer some how?

I don't know where to start, so your help is much appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
Its just an idea, but... find an old non working SE gut it and mount up a new digital photo frame in it. That way you can easily have it do a slide show of color images.

Has the looks of the old original macs, but no hassles of the old hardware.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What files you can access really will depend upon which model computer you find and what software came with it. The Apple IIGS I got rid of years ago would have displayed jpegs for example. There were a couple of different display types in operation at the time as well depending upon which model was used.

If you can give us a few ideas of some of the more interesting ideas you have found I bet we could think of something. I've probably still got my old LCII lying around and working with the 14" monitor.

Reaction score
The problem is you have screen burn in. Its also B&W. Like the photo frame idea. The whole inside pulls out of the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
stingray's idea is the best!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.