My iMac's HDD failed - Question

Reaction score
Just like the topic says, my HDD has been failing. Got the grey screen with the flashing question mark folder. I went through Apple's troubleshooting and ended up having to reformat it. It worked and I was able to reinstall. But then it failed again and I had to do it again.

So I was going to buy a new, external HDD. But my question is, will I be able to install Mac OS on it? All I have is the Snow Leopard installation disc, so is that all I need to reinstall the OS on a new HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
I recently purchased Snow Leopard, but only the upgrade copy as I already have Leopard. The folks at the Apple Store told me I would NOT be able to install Snow Leopard on my older Mac because it wasn't already running Leopard.

If you bought the full version of Snow Leopard, you should be okay. If not, well ...

I'm no kind of expert. I'll be interested to hear what everyone else has to say.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I recently purchased Snow Leopard, but only the upgrade copy as I already have Leopard. The folks at the Apple Store told me I would NOT be able to install Snow Leopard on my older Mac because it wasn't already running Leopard.

If you bought the full version of Snow Leopard, you should be okay. If not, well ...

I'm no kind of expert. I'll be interested to hear what everyone else has to say.

Not true. Linky.

Reaction score
You can use Superduper to make an exact copy of your internal Hard drive on your external one and it is completely bootable.

Thats my recommendation!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.