OnyX 2.1.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
I just downloaded this after being advised to do so on this forum, and used the 'Cleaning' process, keeping all the boxes that were already ticked the same, and not adding any, is this ok?

just looking for advice when using OnyX really as I have no idea how to use it correctly!

thanks,
Tom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I've used Onyx for about three years. I used to simply use it as a convenient way to run Repair Permissions and the Scripts. For the last 18 months or so I've used the automated feature, and checked all the boxes to allow Onyx to run through all of its maintenance routines. I've never experienced any trouble with it, and I haven't heard of anyone who has.

That being said, Onyx is not something to use all the time. In fact, I only use it if I become suspicious that things are not quite right with my Mac. If, for instance, my Mac seems slow, or if I'm getting the spinning beach ball for no apparent reason, or if an OS function gets wonky, then I'll run Onyx. Otherwise, I just let my Mac do its thing. So, I actually use Onyx about once every two or three months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Another vote for Onyx. Like George, I use it as required, but I think once a month to six weeks as a regular maintenance task might be better. It depends on your level of usage of the MacOS. As implied, take note of warning signs like the spinning ball, apps not responding, and the like.

I'd add System Optimisation (Update) to the list of things to do, although that feature might have been discontinued in the version you're using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And to enlarge on George's advice, run the scripts, or daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts, from time to time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.