Snow Leopard problem -- sites won't load?

Reaction score
Hi -- I'm new to the forum and had no response from the 'laptop' forum, so am trying here. I have a new Mac (Air), running Snow Leopard.

It works great EXCEPT that certain websites, like Facebook and Twitter, simply do not load. And on YouTube, the main page loads but none of the videos load.

My PowerBook loads all these sites without problem, and they share the same router. The firewall is off on the snow leopard computer.

Any idea of what I might try to unblock the sites & content? I am completely mystified and hopeful for some guidance.

Thank you --
LinLin

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What browser are you using? Is it only those sites? Error messages (see the status bar)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I suspect that it's a flash or java problem. See about updating those (and everything else) on your Air and see if that helps. Also make sure that java is enabled on your browser.

OP
L
Reaction score
I've tried Firefox, Safari, and Flock. And I've updated to the latest Flash version (then rebooted). All try to connect but time out. Let me stress that the same sites load up fine with Tiger on my other Mac, same internet connection, same modem. Java is enabled, and the Java site says Mac users should get the latest version by using the software update feature on the Apple menu, which I've done.

E.g., the Firefox error message is:
The connection has timed out

The server at facebook.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Using Safari, Clear your Cache. If that doesn't help, consider Reset Safari. If that doesn't help either, try an experiment. Go to Google and search for Facebook. Then try to access the Facebook site from the Google hit. If that doesn't work, try the Google Cache link. Tell us what happens.

OP
L
Reaction score
Tried emptying the cache in Safari. No change.
Reset Safari. No change.

I'd run the Google experiment earlier, googling Facebook and then clicking on the link. No joy, then or now.

Error message: Safari can’t open the page “Page Not Found | Facebook because the server where this page is located isn’t responding.

BUT it (the Facebook server) responds just fine on my other Mac.

Still mystified,

LinLin

OP
L
Reaction score
Got it!
Last week I was in Vietnam, where Facebook is blocked. The DNS setting was still on what had been automatically detected at the hotel. When I removed the entries in the DNS server and 'search domains' fields, voila! It works like a charm.

_Many_ thanks for your help and interest, though. The support is much appreciated.

LinLin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.