XP SP2 Boot Camp question

Reaction score
Hi Guys;
I'm thinking about using a few little XP programs in boot camp and have read a fair bit online about the formatting and being safe and prepped properly.
But I still have one question unanswered.

I have my actual XP sp1a disk and when it came out I downloaded the XPsp2 update.
I read online that they say I have to have XP SP2 and not an upgrade.
Is what I have considered an upgrade? I normally would install my XP disk and when that was done apply the service pack.

I dont see an issue as my disk isnt just the other kind of upgrade (where they dont give you the whole OS, just the hotfixes).

I hope I'm not rambling and incoherent here. Hoping for a response so I can get this jet engine of a windows machine in another room so I can just listen to the quietude of the iMac.

Thanks for reading,
Drew

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
Correct me if I am wrong, forum members, but I don't think bootcamp cares what version of windows you install. I would say just go ahead and install xp, then update to sp3. Keep in mind that you must be installing a fresh copy of xp, as you still have to activate it, etc.

Another option would be to create a slipstream disk and add sp2 to your existing xp disk, then install that via bootcamp.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
XP SP2 is required. If your disc does not have SP2, then you'll need to create a slipstreamed disc.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi again.
I have the XP sp1a disk and i have a separate download that is SP2.
I'm not sure how to make a slipstream disk. If someone could let me know that would be great.
Drew

Reaction score
You will need to make a slipstreamed disk as indicated. However, you can install XP SP1 in a virtual machine (Fusion, Parallels or Virtual Box) and upgrade from within that. Depending on your needs, you may not need to use Boot Camp and a virtual machine may suffice. Much simpler to use (in my opinion).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.