• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is in-car technology safe?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think it does come down to that. I remember reading a study awhile back when the whole cell phone ban debate was going about how it's not the hands-free that was the problem but rather the distraction from talking and focusing a person's attention on the conversation rather than paying attention to the road. It happens with parents trying to deal with their kids in the backseat while driving or teenagers fooling around with their friends in the car, etc.

Adding certain technology just adds to that problem. Just imagine a bunch of teenagers trying to update their Twitter accounts while fooling around in the car. Also I don't know about the rest of the world but here in my part of the US it was extremely easy for me to get a driving license. I could have been half asleep and still pass. My driver's training wasn't that great either. So add a driver with little driver's training and many distractions just seems like a recipe for disaster. It has been many years since I got my license so things might have changed but seeing all the bad drivers in my area I don't think much has changed.

I've noticed this technology addiction too. For example, if you take a teenager's cell phone away for a few minutes they go through withdrawals like a drug addict. ;) That's why voice mail was invented...you don't have to pick up the phone every time you get a call or text. Technology can definitely make our lives easier and I love technology myself too but I think in this case the wrong kinds of technology are actually making things worst.

Ford was noticing that technology like Sync was helping their sales so like any company out to make money they are just giving their customers more of it. I don't really think they are overly concerned about safety as long as it sells.

Well the new generation is all about instant gratification and everything needs to be now now now. They have no patience so it's not surprising to me at all.

I have actually experienced the above first hand. I haven't seen my favorite Uncle in like 10 years, and I came to visit for two weeks. He is only 8 years older than I am..he is technically like an older brother to me. He is driving and we are catching up... He is not paying attention to the red light ahead.

We continue to talk and then at the last minute I'm screaming at him to hit the breaks. I'm hearing the loudest screeching noise in my life, and I see smoke rising up from underneath the car on both sides. Finally the car stops and we are technically in the middle of the intersection.

Near death experience...because we were catching up. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I agree, clay: a distraction for the driver, an attraction for the thief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I agree, clay: a distraction for the driver, an attraction for the thief.

I agree. Park downtown and you wouldnt walk a block before a smash and grap !

Clay

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree. Park downtown and you wouldnt walk a block before a smash and grap !

Clay

Went vacationing in Ocean Side, Maryland. Car got broke into, and guess what they stole? Toilet Paper. Yes Toilet Paper. In broad day light no less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Went vacationing in Ocean Side, Maryland. Car got broke into, and guess what they stole? Toilet Paper. Yes Toilet Paper. In broad day light no less.

come on now...perhaps the burrito from the gas station just wasn't agreeing with them and well when you gotta go you gotta go !;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.