Upgraded Hard Drive on PB now can't reinstall OS 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4 15" 1.67 Ghz 1.5 Gb ram
My first post and am on my last leg on figureing out what I can do to get my PB G4 15" 1.67ghz 512mb ram with a new 320 gb western dig hard drive that I bought from Fry's electronics and installed myself. (since I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg and ifixit.com showed me how) Im positive it was the correct hard drive for the PB that I have installed.

My problem now is that I borrowed intstall disc for a Macbook and it was for Snow Leopord v10.6 which I now know is only for Intel based Macs. After reassembeling my PB I powered it up and inserted the disc 1 and held down C key. The menu came up and I selected English the pressed next. It told me that " this can't be install on your computer". I reallized that it was incompatible and only the v10.5 Leopord would have worked. I then used my orginal OS 10.4 tiger install disc to use as my OS since I don't have a v10.5 install disc. This is where im having trouble, when I insert the Tiger install disc that came with my PB only a blue screen appears... Nothing else, i have been told that it's a possiblity that I have corrupted the installation since I tried to install v10.6 and now that Im trying to go back to v10.4 it won't work. my discs don't have any scratches on then and have never been used, but when I called apple he told me that should buy new install discs since I was able to get some dialog when I tried to install the Snow Lep.

Please help me I have no computer and Im using my iPhone to gather any info on what I should do next.

Let my know if there is any more info one needs to give a better assesment.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like you never formatted the hard drive before attempting to do the OS install.

You need to insert your install CD/DVD...go to the drop-down menus, open disk utility, and format the hard drive....then do the OS install.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I first powered up my PB after installing the new HD my backlight to my screen wasn't lit but I could see the apple logo and it was clocking, the screen was just as if you turn the display all the way off so I pressed enter withe the Install disc since I couldn't see what was on the screen. Then that is when it ran off the snow lep disc and brought me to the setup menu then told me that I can't install. But when I tried it with my tiger install disc it goes blank blue screen so I don't have an option to go to dis. Utilities.

When you say insert install cd, it the orginal OS install disc that came with the PB. Correct... That when I get the blank blue screen
Should I just be starting the PB w/o any disc and try to use a light to see what's on the screen? Why won't it lite up, until I put a install disc in? Is that normal?

I'll try what you suggested again to attempt to format the HD. Thank you for all of your help and Im a newbie at this stuff but a fast learner... Any other suggestion I should try?

Reaction score
This happened to me once when I upgraded the hard drive in my iBook G4. You have to connect the drive to another computer and change the partition type from Intel to Apple.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have another CPU to hook the drive up to but am getting another set of OS install disk to see if I get the same result... I'll see if someone will be willing to connect the drive to there cpu... I'll keep ya all posted when I get the new compatible install disc

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have install disc Mac os v 10.5.2 and it's telling me that it can't install this. But I was able to open disc utility and partion my hard drive. Why won't my install disk for os v10.4 boot up like the v10.5.2 and at least bring up a menu? All I get is the blank blue screen. Is my disc bad???

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have gotten a v10.4.5 os install disc and tried to boot it up with that disc and no sucess I don't even get a blank blue screen. It won't lite, but I can see that it has a power button in the backround and that there is a error msg that I have seen before and is in different languages.

Do I want to partion the hard drive with the disk v10.5.2 even though it tells me that I can't install this disc? When in fact I really only want to use my orginal OS v10.4.1. I have an appt with an apple genius tonight and hope to get more answers, I'll will cont to post and please give me any suggestion a that may help my cause in gettin my a OS up and running! Thank you all

Reaction score
I have gotten a v10.4.5 os install disc and tried to boot it up with that disc and no sucess I don't even get a blank blue screen. It won't lite, but I can see that it has a power button in the backround and that there is a error msg that I have seen before and is in different languages.
Sounds like a kernel panic. I'd say your disc is bad.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im taking it to an apple genius today and will post what he tells me. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are the install discs silver grey and from other computers? These are strictly for use only with the model they were released with. Sounds like you are in the market for a full install DVD, which is black.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was able to have the apple genius reinstall my OS via extranal HD that they had in store. He said that it was a good possibility that the original disc were bad. Thank God for the good apple customer service that apple provides. I have been outta warrnty for almost two years and still gave me the time to answer and solve my issues.
Thank you all for post!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.