Can't remove icon from toolbar

Reaction score
A long time ago, I had installed missing sync on my Mac. I have since gotten rid of it, but the icon is still in my toolbar. I am unable to drag it while holding the command key to delete it. Can anyone tell me another way to get rid of it? When I click on the icon, I am still able to see Missing Sync options, but it is unable to open the actual application when I click "Open Missing Sync".

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What does right clicking it do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
J
Reaction score
Well I couldn't find it under preferences, so I tried to go through the steps in the link you provided. It said to do this:

Reset menu bar to only have Airport, Volume, Battery and Clock

defaults write com.apple.systemuiserver menuExtras\
'( "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/AirPort.menu",
"/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Volume.menu",
"/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Battery.menu",
"/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Clock.menu")'

Restart UI Server

killall -HUP SystemUIServer

If SystemUIServer is not running, open terminal and run /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app

Everything was working until I got to the "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Clock.menu")' command. When I try to run that, it says '-bash: defaults: command not found. Any ideas?

What is the -bash part?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Nvm. >_>" Seriously not thinking. >_<"

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you checked the Accounts preference pane. Look in your Login Items. My installation has two items there (Missing Sync Monitor, Missing Sync Menubar). Also look in your User/Library/Application Support/. You may find a Missing Synch folder there with a preference file inside named something like device list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm not sure as to the clock command not working, but thinking that if all the rest is working, leave the clock command out, and then go to system preferences, and date and time, and put the clock back in from there.... maybe that'll do the trick, and if not, I'm sure someone with good terminal knowledge will pop into the thread to get it sorted.
Was also curious if you looked in system preferences, accounts, login items or... in other at the bottom of system prefs, as to whether there are left overs from missing sync.
Another option could be to reinstall it and use AppCleaner to remove it and see if that solves it!

OP
J
Reaction score
Well I found a few Missing Sync files floating around and have moved them to the trash. When I try to empty the trash, it says it can't because Missing Sync is in use. Is it possible to force the file to be deleted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this suggests that you haven't uninstalled it properly... I would restart your mac, reinstall it, and use AppCleaner to delete it. AppCleaner

OP
J
Reaction score
Nevermind, I got it! Thanks for everyone's help. That thing has been bothering me for about a year now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let me guess. After moving the items that you found to the trash you had to log out of your user account then log back in? If either of the items found were those mentioned in my earlier post they were loaded during login and are technically "in use".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.