macbook fan making horrible scratching fan noise

Reaction score
I have had my 2008 unibody macbook for sometime now. 3 weeks ago there was a clunking sound in the fan constantly. picture a Ford Model T sound like " dugdugdugdugdug" or something i cant explain the sound.

suddenly today it got a ton worse. now sounds like a lawnmower. Here is a video of someones macbook that sounds EXACTLY like mine.
YouTube - macbook pro fan problem

this sound really worries me. i dont have apple care anymore. what should i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
quit using it until you get it fixed. Seriously you are headed for (if not already there) a catastrophic failure of at least a fan and maybe worse with the heating issues about to spring up

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would take it to the nearest apple store or authorized tech. Did you purchase apple care ? If not when did you buy it ?

Clay

OP
K
Reaction score
in the last hour i took off the back cover and and took out the fan of its casing but still connected, turned on macbook. its definitely the fan. i ordered a replacement fan with warranty from ebay for 30 bucks. im going to install myself haha.
my applecare ran out about 2 months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in the last hour i took off the back cover and and took out the fan of its casing but still connected, turned on macbook. its definitely the fan. i ordered a replacement fan with warranty from ebay for 30 bucks. im going to install myself haha.
my applecare ran out about 2 months ago.

nice job. You understand why I didn't suggest you do it yourself ?. Never want to steer anyone to do something they are not equiped to do.

Good luck
Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.