Formatting My Book World Edition for MAC OS X

Reaction score
I need to format my networking drive (My Book World Edition) so that it's journalized (right now it's Appleshare Format). iMovie will only work if I format it "journalized". However, the My Book is not showing up in my disk utility as a volume. It shows up in finder and I can mount it's various volumes to my desk top, (i can even point timemachine to it as a back up location), it's just not showing up in disk utility. what am i doing wrong?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you are going to have to connect it directly to the Mac in order for Disk Utility to "see" it. I have the same issue with the drive I use for my Time Machine backups. When connected to my MacBook Pro Disk Utility sees it fine. If it's connected to the Time Capsule Disk Utility goes blind.

OP
S
Reaction score
i've tried that (but maybe not correctly). I've connected directly to my macbook pro using a usb to usb connection (leaving the network drive plugged into the router via cat 5 cable) and i've tried plugging the network drive into the macbook pro using the cat 5 cable, (bypassing the router altogether). Maybe i need to plug the network drive to the computer using usb to usb connection but unplug the network drive from the router as well? or maybe i need to use a fire wire?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.