Power on password?

Reaction score
I found where to require a password when "waking" the computer from sleeping, but can't find the option for a password when powering up from being off. I work at a fire station and often leave when other people are here and would like a power on password like I had on my previous laptop. is there such a thing and where would I find it?? Thanks!

Reaction score
Go to System Preferences -> Accounts. At the bottom of the left column showing the accounts is a "Login Options" button. Click it and change "automatic login" to off.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am a bit confused about exactly when you want to have to enter a password. If you want to enter the password at the login screen go into System Preferences and select the "Accounts" preference pane. Make sure that none of the accounts are set to automatically login.

It is also possible to require a password even earlier in the startup process. This is often referred to as an Open Firmware Password (sometimes Firmware Password Protection on the Intel Macs). See Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X for directions and possible drawbacks.

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
I'll try the "accounts" preference pane. I simply want to require a password when turning the computer on when it's off or sleeping. Thanks for the help

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's fine for most situations. I believe the settings to require a password upon wakeup or screensaver activation are in the Security preference pane.

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
Yea I already had the password upon wakeup set, and thanks to your above post I found how to set a password for when the computer is turned on (from being powered off). Thanks!!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. It's about time I put all those years in front of a Mac to good use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.