Lost Password(Help)

Reaction score
My God Father gave me his mac book pro so I can fix it,and I can't
He brought the computer from someone,and they forgot to give him the password. He can't get in contact with the previous owners.
We brought the OSX install disc,and I held on to c while the disc was loading,and nothing happens I thenheld onto to D,and still noting. I even try the Command S part,and nothing. I need to reset the password,and I think I tried everything.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the computer your God Father purchased has been assigned a "Firmware" password. There is no possible way to reset it without the original password. A firmware password is different from a user or an account password which can be reset with a boot DVD.

Does your God Father have a legal bill of sale for the computer? If he does, have him contact your local Apple store and see if they will reset it for you.

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's a good overview of Apple's take on Open Firmware passwords Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X. Without such a password anyone with the installation DVD and physical access to the Mac could make changes. It essentially adds one more layer of protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And laptops do get stolen and firmware password is an excellent way of protecting the machine and its contents but as chscag said you cannot rest it without thaty password and system discs will not even boot the machine.

Get Godfather cracking on to the person he purchased the machine from.

OP
R
Reaction score
OK I just found out the guy that he brought the computer from is a big website designer for abdole,and wendy's I searched his name from his computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.