Mini Disc to Itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Hello Everyone,

I have a rather large collection of mini disc. Is there an component or any device that I can use to upload my mini disc to itunes? I know people have uploaded LP's. How do they do it? My mini disc player is RCA.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a rather large collection of mini disc. Is there an component or any device that I can use to upload my mini disc to itunes? I know people have uploaded LP's. How do they do it? My mini disc player is RCA.

Thanks

Shame you didn't mention what Mac you're using :'(

Most modern Mac's have a combo analogue/optical input. Many Minidisc players have an optical out. If yours does then you need to buy an optical lead to run from the Minidisc player to the Mac's input. If you go to the Apple symbol at the top left of your screen, select 'About This Mac', from the resulting window click on the 'More Info' button. Select AUDIO from the options on the next window. It should tell you if you have a COMBO line in. If so, then it's both optical and analogue (electrical). Go with the optical if you can but a standard minijack to minijack cable will do (albeit lesser quality).

Run Quicktime player. Go to FILE -- > NEW AUDIO RECORDING. Select the input you want to record from (there is a little clickable triangle in Quicktime 10). Press Play on the MD machine then press record in Quicktime.

You could then use something like Audacity for OSX to split up and save your tracks..

Regards. Rimmer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro
^^ Agreed. If you can use the digital out from your MD player, that is the ultimate solution! I would NOT waste your time with the stock analog input on any computer. Low quality and it's a shame to reduce your audio to that level.

Record into audacity if you don't have access to a nicer WAV editor. Export each song to WAV (or MP3).

OP
rfe959
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Thanks for responding. I have a Macbook Pro 5,1 Late 08 model. I need help with this optical input/output. I went to an Apple store and a Genious told me to use Garageband with RCA's. I haven't tried it yet and don't know if I want to waste my time.

Thanks

OP
rfe959
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what my audio tab has listed. I'm not clear on how to pick the optical options.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x10DECB79
Audio ID: 64
Available Devices:
Headphone:
Connection: Combo
Line In:
Speaker:
Connection: Internal
Internal Microphone:
Connection: Internal
External Microphone:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
S/P-DIF Out:
S/P-DIF In:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.