Not my day for computing , possible virus issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So this morning I went on the website of a hotel I had stayed at in China and got a warning message in Safari shown in the thumbnail below. Should I be concerned about this? If so, what could I do? Before I could think straight, I did click past it as I didn't think this particular website could possibly have any kind of malware. (it was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet)

Also, I got an email from a friend of mine that often sends me photos and whatnot. The email must have been forwarded to me automatically by the program since my friend swears she didn't forward it. Turned out the supposed photos attached were links to download some kind of virus or malware called foto355. I know this because it immediately downloaded to my downloads folder. It's a Windows .exe file, so I'm not too concerned that it actually loaded anything onto my computer, but again, should I be concerned? Could it have forwarded to my address book even though the program couldn't run on my Mac?

Thanks.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Attachement screenshot of Safari warning

Screen shot 2010-01-09 at 9.52.17 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
No worries, as you no doubt know, no program can execute without your knowledge under nix systems, so I am no doubt you are safe from malware from that site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And no virus for Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Remove any cookies related to the hotel you stayed at in China. If you used your computer from there, and hadn't blocked cookies, there may be data residing on your machine which enables auto-connection to the hotel's website, as shown in the thumbnail.

If the problem persists, reset Safari, including emptying the cache.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info!

I feel pretty safe on my Mac. The only thing that really rattled my cage was the fact that Safari gave me a warning, since I had never seen it before. I thought there was a chance it detected something that could affect OSX rather than all of that Windows malware all over the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nah just one of those all the time Window alerts. Next you will get on saying you need to run some scan or other on your machine (drive C:) with a Windows type message box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.