Trying to go legit with Final Cut Studio (pt. 2)

Reaction score
So I'm trying to buy a legit version of Final Cut Studio. I tried with one site which only ended up being a scam, but I've got it narrowed down to a few options.

I know there are cheaper options out there than just buying it directly from Apple, so if I could save $100, $200 dollars, that'd be great, but I still want to be able to trust that it's still legit. Anyways, these are the options I'm looking at now, please let me know what you think would be best:

1) Frys.com seems to have the cheapest of all the Apple certified resellers at $847

2) There is just the license for sale at CDW.com (another Apple certified reseller) for $816 (I do have all the install disks from the last store I tried, I just have a faulty serial)

3) And for the last one, I've found some on eBay, factory sealed for between $687-$709

For the last one, if it really is factory sealed, there shouldn't be any problems, correct? I'm still only a student so that $100 does still seem like a lot to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
There's always some degree of risk with ebay, but if they say it's factory sealed then you 'should' be ok.

If there's a dispute and the seller doesn't cooperate you can always claim through paypal too, so that gives you a little piece of mind. (You need to make sure you go through the correct steps though as once it's closed they won't re-open the case).

I just bought a factory sealed Logic Express off ebay and it was fine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
What torrent or P2P do you guys recommend for Mac? Note: not for pirating, just to use thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just checked the Apple Store (Educational) and found that you can save $100 on Final Cut Studio. Have you considered purchasing it directly from Apple through their educational store? Note though that the educational store is only for college or university students. If you are in university, you may also be able to get a discount through your campus bookstore/tech shop.

OP
C
Reaction score
I just checked the Apple Store (Educational) and found that you can save $100 on Final Cut Studio. Have you considered purchasing it directly from Apple through their educational store? Note though that the educational store is only for college or university students. If you are in university, you may also be able to get a discount through your campus bookstore/tech shop.

I tried looking on the online educational store but for some reason it came back with something saying it couldn't reach my particular university (Boston University). Not sure if it's just a temporary server error or what.

But if so, would it be the academic version instead of the retail version?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I went to the Apple Store online, looked for your school and was directed to a custom Apple store available through your school. Here is the page I was directed to for your school. You'll note that you can shop that store or the regular Apple Education store (link on that page as well).

OP
C
Reaction score
I went to the Apple Store online, looked for your school and was directed to a custom Apple store available through your school. Here is the page I was directed to for your school. You'll note that you can shop that store or the regular Apple Education store (link on that page as well).

I see. Ya, but it is like I expected and only the Academic version from what I can tell. With that, the license only covers non-commercial production and you are unable to update. I don't know if I'll need to update, but after school I do want to be able to have the option to use if for commercial use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.