software to convert PDF to TIFF black and white

Reaction score
I need software that will allow me to email scanned documents in black and white rather than grayscale after converting from PDF to TIFF. Preview will allow me to save PDF docs. as TIFF (I also have to have 200 dpi, which Preview also allows.) The problem I am having is that they are in grayscale and not able to be integrated into the system my company uses. They are also too large.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
You can also use Preview to downsize the file and to save as jpg, which is smaller than a tiff file. Use Tools to downsize to, say, 50% of the original, then File>Save as - jpg. That should do it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Gimp, Photoshop?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you can tell me a bit more about the requirements the file needs to meet (acceptable filetypes, etc), I bet this can be done using Automator and a folder action.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
OP
S
Reaction score
If you can tell me a bit more about the requirements the file needs to meet (acceptable filetypes, etc), I bet this can be done using Automator and a folder action.

It must be a TIFF group 4 file, 200 dpi, black and white, not grayscale. Documents will be emailed in this format to my company's 'Document Power Enterprise' by Mc Leod Imaging.

C

chas_m

With respect, your company's "Document Power Enterprise" needs to get out of the late 80s.

I guess the part I'm not understanding is why you don't just scan the documents in 200dpi B&W TIFF in the first place? Most scanner software I've ever seen has this option, since its the preferred format for faxing.*

*for the younger readers here, faxing was an old-fashioned way of emailing stuff through the phone lines. Very crude and unsophisticated, and fell out of use in the 1990s. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
*for the younger readers here, faxing was an old-fashioned way of emailing stuff through the phone lines. Very crude and unsophisticated, and fell out of use in the 1990s. :)

with due respect where i come from people still use the 90's FAX still. Its great for business and i cant understand how you can say its old fashioned. Just because we have computers and the technology gets better and better doesnt mean we have to get rid of things that work a treat and are still good in business. Its a bit one eyed IMO and out of sync .........
I find it easier and more efficient to FAX a document than 1st scanning it then having to email it. When your looking for people to pay up once a invoice is sent by FAX they cant say they didnt receive it, so there is no excuse, compared to those that say "oh sorry mate i didnt check my email for a week" or the classic " sorry but i didnt receive a email from you with the Invoice"

Now having sent a FAX of the invoice to them they have no comeback ....

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
with due respect where i come from people still use the 90's FAX still. Its great for business and i cant understand how you can say its old fashioned. Just because we have computers and the technology gets better and better doesnt mean we have to get rid of things that work a treat and are still good in business. Its a bit one eyed IMO and out of sync .........
I find it easier and more efficient to FAX a document than 1st scanning it then having to email it. When your looking for people to pay up once a invoice is sent by FAX they cant say they didnt receive it, so there is no excuse, compared to those that say "oh sorry mate i didnt check my email for a week" or the classic " sorry but i didnt receive a email from you with the Invoice"

Now having sent a FAX of the invoice to them they have no comeback ....

It fell in the trash...>_>"

OP
S
Reaction score
With respect, your company's "Document Power Enterprise" needs to get out of the late 80s.

I guess the part I'm not understanding is why you don't just scan the documents in 200dpi B&W TIFF in the first place? Most scanner software I've ever seen has this option, since its the preferred format for faxing.*

We are using portable scanners from our truck; hence the emailing instead of faxing. I was hoping I didn't have to buy another portable scanner since the Neatworks I own won't do the job. It is 'set' to B&W, however the scans still come out grayscale.

OP
S
Reaction score
Gimp, Photoshop?

I tried both and they just can't get away from the grayscale or color. Unless i don't know how to do it, which is entirely possible. I guess that is why I am here. I'm trying to figure out specifically how to convert those files with software for a Mac. PDF TO TIFF, PDF TO JPG, PDF TO BMP, PDF TO PNG, PDF TO TEXT CONVERTER,DVD RIPPER has software that will do it for a PC,
Xerox has a portable scanner that will work but is not Mac compatible. I don't want to regret buying a Mac just because my company is stuck with 80's software that they probably got at a yardsale:Mischievous:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We are using portable scanners from our truck; hence the emailing instead of faxing. I was hoping I didn't have to buy another portable scanner since the Neatworks I own won't do the job. It is 'set' to B&W, however the scans still come out grayscale.

It seems to me that the primary issue is the scanning software that comes with your scanner - it only wants to output in PDF files?

If so, try scanning using Image Capture (it's in either Applications => Image Capture or Applications => Utilities => Image Capture).

If that doesn't work, check out VueScan:

http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

It may just be that you need more capable scanning software that can output in a variety of file types. TIFF is still pretty standard for professional, enterprise-scale document management software.

OP
S
Reaction score
It seems to me that the primary issue is the scanning software that comes with your scanner - it only wants to output in PDF files?

If so, try scanning using Image Capture (it's in either Applications => Image Capture or Applications => Utilities => Image Capture).

If that doesn't work, check out VueScan:

VueScan Scanner Software

It may just be that you need more capable scanning software that can output in a variety of file types. TIFF is still pretty standard for professional, enterprise-scale document management software.

I can convert to TIFF easily. But they are still grayscale even when choosing the B&W option in Image Capture. My IT people tell me they need to be B&W with a file size of 20-40 kb per document.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I saw this thread earlier and the obvious answer has just hit me

Graphic Converter
Apple photo software - Mac picture editor, photo editor, image editor, graphics conversion

You can try it fully functioning for free, it opens PDF files and I can confirm it can convert to bitmap (black and white), set the resolution and save to TIFF

I use it all the time, it can open and save to just about any format you can name, and a few you have never heard of

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I thought about Graphic Converter too. I haven't tried the conversion yet using it. I was hoping the Graphic Converter had an Automator action that could be part of the workflow. Most of the actions I have seen are based upon pixels rather than dpi.

OP
S
Reaction score
I thought about Graphic Converter too. I haven't tried the conversion yet using it. I was hoping the Graphic Converter had an Automator action that could be part of the workflow. Most of the actions I have seen are based upon pixels rather than dpi.

Yes, they are ppi and I couldn't get it to exactly 200 dpi. I think this may be above my paygrade. I have tried 5 different recommended software programs and keep hitting the same wall. But I do thank everyone for trying to help me.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, they are ppi and I couldn't get it to exactly 200 dpi. I think this may be above my paygrade. I have tried 5 different recommended software programs and keep hitting the same wall. But I do thank everyone for trying to help me.

Made this just for you. I think you deserve a pay raise. ^-^"

Ignore the foreign language. It was the only thing I had on my computer with a lot of type. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Made this just for you. I think you deserve a pay raise. ^-^"

Ignore the foreign language. It was the only thing I had on my computer with a lot of type. >_<"

After view ( and listening....great tune what is it ?) I for one will gladly donate 25% of all proceeds I recieve from Mac-Forums to CrimsonRequiem ! Very nice job.

Clay

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After view ( and listening....great tune what is it ?) I for one will gladly donate 25% of all proceeds I recieve from Mac-Forums to CrimsonRequiem ! Very nice job.

Clay

Hum I thought I had the track running when I was making the video. Oh well...it's Vampire Weekend. Album Contra. Song Dipomat's Son.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.