• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

whats the best 1080p video player on Mac

Reaction score
My new iMac is having trouble playing 1080 HD videos,I tried VLC,Quicktime w Perian and even Plex that pple says is the best...when i tried to play 1080p videos its all chopped images and very slow..Seema like 720 works better but not perfect...is driving me nuts cause i can see any movies...any help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
How much RAM do you have, and what processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Tons of power there then, but a bit of googling lead me to this article:

1080p MKV playback on Mac OS X (VLC)

You haven't said what file type you are trying to play, but this should help. It seems it's a software issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
I already googled that and found that page,did that on VLC but still no luck,Seems like Flex is the best.. Files are mkv.. All this sucks.. Will true another mkv 1080 movie..maybe it's a bad file.. Flex don't give me any option that I can move forward like VLC or QT.. Don't know how to use it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I'll have a search around too, and try some mkv on my lower powered iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Actually, Plex has a lot of control for moving around in a video - but you either need to know the keyboard commands or have a remote - here's a reference for the keyboard commands:

Keyboard - Plex

What kind of bitrate is that 1080p file? Usually I play 720p (I play on a Mac Mini connected to my TV, and it's a lot less power then your iMac, so I know 720p files should play perfectly smooth on it) files that are around 5-6mbps bitrates and I haven't had any problems with stuttering in VLC or Plex.

What else do you have running on your system? Have you tried transcoding the files into a different bitrate/resolution/container that has better apple support?

OP
S
Reaction score
Well if my iMac has 1080 video i think it shouldnt be a problem,and yes,I have Perian for Quicktime,seems like Quicktime is the worst to play,Plex is the best but not 100% still have problem with pixelation..I think it should be better players for Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.