Cant Get External Drive Connected to Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Can't get External Hard Drive working on Airport Extreme (802.11n)

So we just recently bought a macbook. We also purchased an Airport Extreme and have wireless internet and wireless printing (via printer plugged into USB HUB into AE base station) working great.

Have purchased an external 1TB iomega HD. If I USB direct to Macbook it shows up on my desktop and all is good. But I want to have it behind my AE for wireless storage and backup.

In AE utility, I can see the HD in Disks, this is telling me that the HD is being seen by the base station through the USB (cables and HUB). I have clicked the "Allow File Sharing" box per AE instructions for adding a disk, but I don't see the disk listed in the AE Summary Tab nor do I see it on my Macbook. I've removed USB HUB and connected HD direct to AE base... same thing, I see Drive in AE Utility under Disks, but not in Summary, nor on my Macbook

I do have "External Disks" checked in: Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on Desktop

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ... new to mac, so don't even really know how to troubleshoot much.:Oops:

OP
S
Reaction score
Can't get External Hard Drive working on Airport Extreme (802.11n)

So we just recently bought a macbook. We also purchased an Airport Extreme and have wireless internet and wireless printing (via printer plugged into USB HUB into AE base station) working great.

Have purchased an external 1TB iomega HD. If I USB direct to Macbook it shows up on my desktop and all is good. But I want to have it behind my AE for wireless storage and backup.

In AE utility, I can see the HD in Disks, this is telling me that the HD is being seen by the base station through the USB (cables and HUB). I have clicked the "Allow File Sharing" box per AE instructions for adding a disk, but I don't see the disk listed in the AE Summary Tab nor do I see it on my Macbook. I've removed USB HUB and connected HD direct to AE base... same thing, I see Drive in AE Utility under Disks, but not in Summary, nor on my Macbook

I do have "External Disks" checked in: Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on Desktop

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ... new to mac, so don't even really know how to troubleshoot much.

Reaction score
I think you will find that you have to reformat the 1TB iomega on the MacBook. The 1TB is probably formated for PC use right out of the box.
Your MacBook will see the drive (and let you use it) when it is plugged straight into it but the AE doesn't see the partition just the drive.
Just from my experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.