the right beginner MAC for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nothing yet ... still salivating at the counter.
The Specs:
Quad 2.5 Ghz PPC G5 Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 MB of GDDR2 SDRAM Super Drive
One 230 GB Hard drive ,
4.5GB of DDR 2 Ram

My needs: (two issues):

1) I need to run an accounting software using virtual windows, I've been told I need a processor 2ghz or better to have both XOS & Windows open simultaneously.

2) Editing photos and video. I work with photos, but my husband currently edits HD video on a PC. I'd like to throw Video editing (Final Cut?) software on my new computer and let him play with it, to see if it will work (better!) for him. But if the video card or ram wont handle his needs - it wont impress him enough to get his own.

We have a million external hard drives, that is the spec I'm least concerned about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It will do the photos and video editing just fine.

The issue is running Windows. The newer intel macs run windows, well, just as fast as a PC. That mac, while powerful, still has the PowerPC G5 processor. Fine for running OSX, but cannot run windows natively, it will have to use emulation software like Virtual PC.

If one of your main concerns is running windows, while enjoying the Mac OS, go for an Intel Mac, depending on your budget, even the mac mini Core2Duo intel will outpace the G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I would also recommend a Mac Mini to you. You'll probably be able to get a new one for the same price as that PowerMac as it is the top-of-the-line model.

However, since you need to use Windows, the PowerMac isn't a good choice as running Windows on an emulator such as Virtual PC is quite frankly painful...

With the Mini you'll have a faster computer, smaller case and also able to run the latest Mac software along side Windows.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP here:

Good to know about Windows - thank you! If "virtual windows" is anything like my experience with "virtual XP" on my PC (Vista didn't have drivers for my version of Quickbooks)... what a pain! Ok, lets avoid repeating that ... must be an Intel processor, above 2Ghz. I was hoping to buy the hardware for under $1000, as I have alot of software to buy. But with the news that previous gen processors won't work for windows, I may have to rethink this.

You're recommending the mini - it's only dual core? You're confident it will hold its own for rendering HD video?

I have a really good dual monitor setup already, which is why I'm not thinking IMAC.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The number of Cores means nothing when comparing a Power PC G5 to an Intel Core2Duo. Totally different CPU and Architecture. It's like back in the day when a 2.0Ghz AMD wiped the floor over a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz and above. You can't compare different architectures.

My 2.1 Ghz iMac G5 Power PC takes 2.5-3 hours to convert most AVI's to a DVD for burning while my 2.16 C2D Mini takes 22-25 minutes for the exact same file using the exact same application.

Also the latest Mini will handle Dual Displays. Older Minis would not.

For basic computing the G5 is still fine but for doing real work and fast, go Intel. Also no new version of OSX will run on a Power PC CPU and all the new software coming out will not either. That is why the above poster recommended the Mini to you to try out Macs and OSX.

First Picture, Movie footage in AVI format. iMac G5 2.1Ghz.
Second Picture, Same exact AVI, Application and settings. Mac Mini 2.16C2D.

I can convert 5 movies in the time the G5 would finish just one. The Mini is so fast I had to rush to get the screen shot. Since the new Mini's use faster RAM, CPU they should even be faster than my modded first generation Intel Mini.

Picture 1.jpg

Screen shot 2010-01-09 at 1.20.57 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
You need to remember the PowerMac is about 4-5 year old and although it is still a very good PC a new Mac Mini could easily keep pace or beat it at the majority of tasks.

The new 2.53GHz Mini with, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, nVidia 9400M graphics would be my choice and its $799 new. You can also hook up both of your monitors to it - although you'll need some adapters...

I'd suggest you go to an Apple Store if you have one nearby and check them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I also think the mac mini is a good choice. They really are great little computers and they are often underestimated. It will be faster than the G5, and as already stated, you will be able to run windows in bootcamp as it has an intel processor. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
quad core I think will do anything you want lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quad core I think will do anything you want lol

The problem is the OP needs to run windows and with the G5, bootcamp will not work. The new mac mini will actually be faster than the G5 quad core even though it only has two cores compared to the four cores of the G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Gotcha. Makes sense. Mini faster? Wow I did not know. That actually is great, because it means these Intel processors are really good! :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow - I love you guys ... In two hours I've learned more than weeks of research!

ok, I'll start shopping around for the mini. I'll go for the 2.53 or 2.66 - anything you would or wouldn't buy/upgrade at the time of purchase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotcha. Makes sense. Mini faster? Wow I did not know. That actually is great, because it means these Intel processors are really good! :)

Indeed they are. Many underestimate the mini but I think it is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow - I love you guys ... In two hours I've learned more than weeks of research!

ok, I'll start shopping around for the mini. I'll go for the 2.53 or 2.66 - anything you would or wouldn't buy/upgrade at the time of purchase?

The 2.53 should be fine. I don't think you would notice a difference between the two. I wouldn't upgrade anything really. You already said you have plenty of external hard drives so I assume hard drive space is not an issue. I think stock should be just fine for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
If you're going to get a new Mac, I would suggest taking a look into the iMacs.

The iMacs may be more expensive, but they really are a great deal.

You get a 3 GHz processor, 500 GB hard drive beautiful 21 inch screen, the magic mouse, and a keyboard.

With the mini, you get a 2.5 GHz processor, 320 HB HD, no monitor, no mouse, no keyboard.

You could always sell the keyboard & mouse for $100+

iMac price = $1200

Mac Mini = $800

You can also try to find a used mac, try checking out craigslist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're going to get a new Mac, I would suggest taking a look into the iMacs.

The iMacs may be more expensive, but they really are a great deal.

You get a 3 GHz processor, 500 GB hard drive beautiful 21 inch screen, the magic mouse, and a keyboard.

With the mini, you get a 2.5 GHz processor, 320 HB HD, no monitor, no mouse, no keyboard.

iMac price = $1200

Mac Mini = $800

You can also try to find a used mac, try checking out craigslist.

I agree the iMac is a good deal but the OP said that they didn't want/need an iMac as they already have a nice dual monitor setup.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I completely agree with alexsd123 - but I would miss my dual monitor system. And since the monitor portion is redundant - I was thinking tower MAC rather than mini.

But judging from these responses, a tower would be overkill? The price of an entry level tower is certainly more than I want to spend.

If only the top mini = IMAC hardware (minus monitor, etc). I would have confidently purchased that months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I completely agree with you , alexsd123 - but I would miss my dual monitor system. And since the monitor portion is redundant - I was thinking tower MAC rather than mini.

But judging from these responses, a tower would be overkill?

I don't believe there is such a thing as too much power. Which mac tower were you thinking? The mac pro is an outstanding machine but you mentioned your budget was $1000 and the mac pro starts at $2500.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd just get the base 2.56 Mini configuration, Apple keyboard and mouse if you would like them and a copy of VMWare Fusion or Parallels so you can run Windows along side OS X without rebooting the Mini into bootcamp which quickly becomes frustrating...

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe there is such a thing as too much power. Which mac tower were you thinking? The mac pro is an outstanding machine but you mentioned your budget was $1000 and the mac pro starts at $2500.

Which one would you recommend???

Since I don't need to spend my money on the monitor or accessories, and I'm really hesitant to buy entry level products (in anything) - I though a tower was the way to go. In Canada new towers start at $3000CAD ... way beyond my budget for hardware. But on ebay they occasionally sell at $1500US, or I was also considering a G5. Initially I figured a good G5 was better than a mini ..... but now I've learned it won't work well with windows.

So now it's a choice of waiting for the budget to buy a intel tower (+ software), or I could get the mini now. If you guys swear the mini wouldn't let me down, I'll consider it. Eventually I'll need a 2nd MAC anyhow, as the office PC will need replacing in a couple of years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if I were you, I would get the mini now and see how you like OS X, then when your office pc needs replacing, you could get something more powerful like a mac pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.