YouTube on iMac G3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it possible to play YouTube or any videos on a standard iMac G3, or are the Processor and Graphics Card to slow to play them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depending on the specs, Flash would be brutal on that machine. Knowing what I do of G3's though, I don't think you're going to find suitable performance on any of them. What are the specs of the machine?

EDIT: After looking around, it looks like the fastest iMac G3 was the Summer 2001 model (PowerMac4,1) and it could have had a 700Mhz G3. At that speed, don't expect amazing performance with YouTube. To add to my initial inquiry, what OS are you using and how much RAM do you have? It will be easier to make an assessment with that info.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply, its the early 2001 model with 500Mhz, 512mb Ram soon to be 1Gb, and its running MAC OS X 10.4.11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It will be the graphics in that old G3 that will really cause uTube video to crawl, they only had 8 – 16 meg of Vram, a very low spec for any sort of video

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're not going to get very good performance with Flash on that machine unless you use a really old version which will also be bad as many sites require newer versions of Flash to be installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
As said before, youtube is not going to be pretty. It will be choppy and slow and it's just generally not going to run well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots Of G3s. So What.
You People Are Incorrect:

You are all In-Correct. You can use applications such as Miro for example to wach YouTube. I am going to try that now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Miro requires OS 10.4 minimum.

I run a G3 iMac 600/1 Gb RAM/Panther/Flash 9, and believe me (and many dozens of others), video is not good. The only browser that seems to accommodate YouTube is FFox, which is processor-hungry anyway, and even when allowing the video to load fully before playback, the motion is jerky.

There is a workaround. Download YouTube in .flv format and play it through Quicktime. You'll need the Pro version of QT (I don't use the standard version). You can then save the video in .mov format if you wish.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You are all In-Correct. You can use applications such as Miro for example to wach YouTube. I am going to try that now.

WOW...you created the username "In Correct"...just to make that one post??? Strange!:Confused:

Reaction score
I don't even think HTML 5 will run on that. I have a G4 running at 500MHz and even a G4 with AGP graphics- scary things happen.

As for the um, user who is pretty much "incorrect"…you've just contradicted yourself dude!

Weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots Of G3s. So What.
Feedback.

I always knew that older macs can play videos...some of them have DVD drives and there is software, even for OS 9 such as "DVD Player". Also, many computer games can run very well on Mac OS X and Mac OS 9, but not very well in Classic Environment.

I have downloaded Miro and to download Youtube Videos, you must load Miro, go to the menu bar, click on "sidebar", and then "add website", and type in the URL for Youtube. A Youtube link will now show up under the Websites category. Click it and Youtube will load like it would in an internet browser. The video will play automatically. PAUSE IT. There should be a link on top (not on the website...on the Miro player) that says "Download Video". Check your download settings and then click on the Download button. Wait for it to download and click play when it is finished.

You must keep your computer still when the video is playing. Don't do anything else...don't click on anything else...you don't have to close everything out except Miro, but you can't click on anything while the video is playing or it will not be smooth.

Otherwise the video will run perfectly. I know because I have downloaded Miro and played my first downloaded YouTube video successfully on it. I have multiple imac G3s.

Miro will need OS X. It will not run on OS 9 and I don't know of any Free FLV players for OS 9.

Hope this helps. Have A Good Day.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must keep your computer still when the video is playing. Don't do anything else...don't click on anything else...you don't have to close everything out except Miro, but you can't click on anything while the video is playing or it will not be smooth.
See, there is a difference between playing and playing well. Although it may play well, you have to accommodate the lack of hardware power. There is no reason that you should have to stop doing everything just to play a video. If you have to do this, your machine doesn't handle video well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots Of G3s. So What.
WOW...you created the username "In Correct"...just to make that one post??? Strange!:Confused:

No, that is my name all over the internet. I picked it because of In-Correct information on the tv dot com website and I continued to use it on other websites. The hyphen was required because somebody already signed up on TV dot com as "incorrect". Sometimes I use variations like In_Correct and In__Correct.

If you don't believe me, run an internet search on "In_Correct".

I also happen to like to point out things that are In-Correct.... such as you people contradicting yourselves while attempting to say that I was contradicting myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots Of G3s. So What.
See, there is a difference between playing and playing well. Although it may play well, you have to accommodate the lack of hardware power. There is no reason that you should have to stop doing everything just to play a video. If you have to do this, your machine doesn't handle video well.

This is all true about the hardware, but it can still be done. I thought it was impossible before. Playing it directly on the website with the web browsers while downloading the video at the same time is terrible in comparisson as using an application..

Reaction score
This is all true about the hardware, but it can still be done. I thought it was impossible before. Playing it directly on the website with the web browsers while downloading the video at the same time is terrible in comparisson as using an application..

You need to go back to high school and learn a few things about properly communicating on the internet. That's all I have to say about this.

When you use a Mac, you expect things to be simple. And doing what you're suggesting, frankly, isn't simple.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, this thread is NOT incorrect. You can not play the videos on a Web Browser without a slideshow happening. Downloading SOME videos is against the rules also. All that time wasted just to play one video. So yes, you can use your program and go through all those steps, but not on a Web Browser. That is what people here are talking about. Try playing 720p and up content from You Tube on that G3 even with your program. G4 choke doing so.

Also your All COLORED and large font yelling posts are bugging people so they were edited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I try to play youtube videos on my g4 ibook and the playback is pretty terrible, I just do it on my mbp instead. I've found flash crawls on it and almost anything else these days.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I try to play youtube videos on my g4 ibook and the playback is pretty terrible, I just do it on my mbp instead. I've found flash crawls on it and almost anything else these days.

The very latest release of Flash shows promise but it only works on 10.5.8 and 10.6 from what I have seen. My iMac G5 used to jerk on You Tube with the previous Flash and now is very smooth with the new version under leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots Of G3s. So What.
Enough:

You need to go back to high school and learn a few things about properly communicating on the internet. That's all I have to say about this.

When you use a Mac, you expect things to be simple. And doing what you're suggesting, frankly, isn't simple.

Enough.

I had a solution to this question, and I offered it. My user name is my decision. I do not care what other members think about it. If there is a question that somebody posts, and if I have a solution, I will offer it.

A solution is a solution whether it is simple or not. I doubt you will use my solution since you most likely replace your mac every year. Not everybody can do this, and not everybody likes to do this.

I expect macs to last more than one year, instead of hearing the same thing about them. "This is impossible on this model of mac. Get a new mac." And is getting a new mac every year a simple solution for some people??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots Of G3s. So What.
No, this thread is NOT incorrect. You can not play the videos on a Web Browser without a slideshow happening. Downloading SOME videos is against the rules also. All that time wasted just to play one video. So yes, you can use your program and go through all those steps, but not on a Web Browser. That is what people here are talking about. Try playing 720p and up content from You Tube on that G3 even with your program. G4 choke doing so.

Also your All COLORED and large font yelling posts are bugging people so they were edited.

I never said the thread was In-Correct, but I did say that the solutions (such as people saying "No, this can't be done") is in fact In-Correct.

You said: "That is what people here are talking about."
You cleared a few things up, and the other members did not. Also the original post is:

"Is it possible to play YouTube or any videos on a standard iMac G3, or are the Processor and Graphics Card to slow to play them."

Nowhere in that question did it ask if videos can be viewed using the internet browsers.

Yelling?! The font, size, and colors are my decision just like my user name. If people can't use colors, fonts, and different sizes in the threads, then why is it possible to do so?! I put it in italics, bold, and underline now. Is this going to be edited also?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.