Mac book to TV problem

Reaction score
hello,
I recently purchased a mini DVI to VGA and a composite cable to connect my mac book to my older tv, but no display arrangement tab appears on my mackook screen when connected. My tv does not display the macbook screen either. I clicked on apple-->system preferences-->display and clicked on detect display, but it does not detect my tv and there is no arrangement tab or mirror display either.
My tv is pretty old and only the 3 red, yellow and white outputs in the back.
Does anyone know anything about this problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of TV, make, model?

I'm assuming you're using the Apple mini DVI to VGA adapter, and then a VGA cable from the adapter which terminates in composite video (R W Y) to the TV input?

If the TV has a selectable menu for inputs, make sure that you have selected the R W Y composite input for a video source. Some older TV sets won't display nor are recognized by a computer. Not just by an Apple MacBook but also PCs.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
louishen, You have one of those cheapie boxes and it works ok for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yes, I got mine from a dealer in China (good rep on ebay). it works, kinda difficult to navigate around on my lores TV, but plays movies and the BBC iPlayer fine on my Macbook.

Easy to set up, only had to adjust a jumper switch to sync the macbook to the TV.

Set up is, mini DVI to vga connects to the box. The box connects one yellow video phono plug to the TV for the picture. The box gets its power from the macbook via usb. I connect the sound separately, using 3.5mm audio jack to 2 phono stereo jacks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Good to know, thanks. Don't believe I've used composite since S-Video came out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my TV set is a Philips 13PT30L 13".
and yes I am using the Apple mini DVI to VGA adapter, and then a VGA cable from the adapter which terminates in composite video (R W Y) to the TV input.
I checked the different external sources on my tv (AV,EXT,GAM,DVD,VCD,VCR,LD) but none seems to work.
I was wondering if there is a particular resolution that is appropriate?
I will try the video converter box. can you get it at radio shack?
Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.