Display quality of late '08 aluminum vs. brand new iMac

Reaction score
So I bought a 21.5 inch iMac last November, and since then, I've noticed that the display quality on my late 2008 aluminum Macbook (with a slightly loose battery panel underneath, to boot), is not nearly as good as the iMac.

It seems to be a brighter screen, but almost sort of "cloudy", and not as well defined.

Also, another issue - there is a slight gap difference on the hinge where I open the screen. Barely noticeable, but I notice everything. I had to have come out of the box this way because I baby the **** out of this laptop; my father gave it to me for college graduation.

Is this normal for the laptop screen to not look as good? Did apple update their liquid crystal display during that time? Or do I need to bring this macbook into the apple store to see what might be an issue? (It has applecare).

Thanks.

Reaction score
The older Macbooks had lower-quality screens than they do now. They are also lower-quality than the iMac screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
What?? Older technology looks worse than new??

;)

OP
N
Reaction score
My point is, the MacBook is only about a year old.

Got it December of 08. Got my iMac November of 09... just confused as to why the MB looks so much worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
You are comparing a year old lower end portable with an inferior quality screen to a brand new cutting edge display desktop iMac. Of course it will look worse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.