• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple makes peace with Greenpeace

Reaction score
1st, get your facts straight. Al Gore never claimed to have "invented" the internet. That was a false quote from a speech he gave to a high school many years ago, in which he stated, and truthfully, that he and a few other legislators fought hard to get bills passed, in overwhelmingly strong opposition (mostly by repuli-can'ts) that would mandate the upgrading of the federal infrastructure for the U.S. to prepare for nation wide high speed Internet access. More fiber optics, larger Internet backbones, etc. If he and the 4 other legislators did not make this bold, innovative, insightful move, we'd be far behind everyone else today in high speed Internet access in this country. That is a simple fact openly acknowledged by all industry leaders.

Some right wing nut job reporter took that 100% true statement, and claimed that Mr. Gore said he "invented the Internet", which he never did.

Second, the article is pretty off base, as Green Peace has always pushed all companies to be more environmentally friendly, and Apple has always been more so than it's competition. Take a look at Green Peace's track record with Dell and the like. They've always issued much harsher criticism of them than they ever did of Apple. The sited article is just fluff, not news, and seems to want to spotlight Apple for some strange reason.

OP
M
Reaction score
1st, get your facts straight. Al Gore never claimed to have "invented" the internet. That was a false quote from a speech he gave to a high school many years ago, in which he stated, and truthfully, that he and a few other legislators fought hard to get bills passed, in overwhelmingly strong opposition (mostly by repuli-can'ts) that would mandate the upgrading of the federal infrastructure for the U.S. to prepare for nation wide high speed Internet access. More fiber optics, larger Internet backbones, etc. If he and the 4 other legislators did not make this bold, innovative, insightful move, we'd be far behind everyone else today in high speed Internet access in this country. That is a simple fact openly acknowledged by all industry leaders.

Some right wing nut job reporter took that 100% true statement, and claimed that Mr. Gore said he "invented the Internet", which he never did.

Second, the article is pretty off base, as Green Peace has always pushed all companies to be more environmentally friendly, and Apple has always been more so than it's competition. Take a look at Green Peace's track record with Dell and the like. They've always issued much harsher criticism of them than they ever did of Apple. The sited article is just fluff, not news, and seems to want to spotlight Apple for some strange reason.

I think you are overreacting a bit. It was meant with a bit of humor, hence the smiley face in my sig.

But you do make a good point. Al Gore has been on the receiving end of that joke for a long time. One of the few people who don't seem offended by it is Gore himself.

Here's the Snopes writeup on the story:

snopes.com: Al Gore Invented the Internet

They raise a good comparison between the Gore/Internet story and Eisenhower/Interstate Highway. Check it out.

Finally, you misspelled Repulsivelicans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This thread took a disturbingly political turn...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I've never Twittered. Does that make me a mensa candidate:)?

The only reason that I would want Job's job, is to tell Greenpeace which bridge to jump off of. The major reason (well, that and el cheapo offshore manufacturing) for much shorter equipment lifetime now is the usage of 'Green" materials in place of the original stuff. I have two 1970 era IMSAI and Altair micros that still work just fine. And a few old boxes from the 80's and 90's that still boot and run like new (ok, I have a hoarding problem).

Since the green revolution, I have had computers, phones, DVD players, amplifiers, hard drives (fill in any hardware) that last any where from 48 hours to a year before dying. Fortunately, Apple hardware seems to be an exception.

Green is a fine concept, but not when it loads the landfills with tons of year old electronics. Anybody on here old enough to remember back when you could actually get something FIXED? No, really. A strange concept, but true.

(Is this political?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
Sorry, but I refuse to listen to a man who makes tons of $$ off lies and fiction.

Science > Gore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
What Gore said, verbatim, was, "I took the initiative in creating the internet."

Reaction score
Can't stand Al Gore.....can't stand liberal threads....call me a right wing whack job all you want

Reaction score
What Gore said, verbatim, was, "I took the initiative in creating the internet."

No, that's what was printed, not what was in the actual speech. And the Spoofs reference is incorrect. The original speech was to high school kids many years ago. Most of you are probably too young to remember it. The original report was done by a right wing reporter who flat out lied about the actual quote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm neither left OR right wing. I think both parties have more than enough of their share of nutters. It's the same game, they just take different approaches at playing it. Al Gore is a lying sack. He's got more money invested in big oil than he has hydrogen, oxygen and carbon atoms swooshing around in his body.

meh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.