Have I Brought The Right Mac?

Reaction score
Hi
I am completely new to MAC and have been a Windows user since the days of Windows 3.11.

We have been thinking about a new computer for a while now and have just decided that we would go down the MAC route to see how much better the general OS is than anything that Windows can put together. We don't really use games on the PC however we are pretty big users for music and currently iTunes is the most run program on the current computers. We also have lots of photos and videos that we constantly download from the internet.

Now, with that usage in mind, have we made the right decision?

The machine that we have ordered and that is being delivered in 5 days is the new i5 core 27in MAC.

its look stunning however will it actually do everything that we want?

Obvious, the ability to run games would be good as it seems to one of the top rated ATI cards. Also, it would be good to be able to run Windows natively if possible to overcome any switching issues.

Anyway, thats it for my first post?

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That is a very very fast machine and will do just about anything you throw at it.

It will also run windows extremely well

What else you want it to do is up to you, getting the right advice and softwaer to do any task is just a matter of asking for advice on this forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
that is a very nice " thought we would see" Well in for a penny in for a pound ! Congtats and welcome aboard.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
You have a very nice machine coming - I'm quite jealous =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Yeah, definitely a great choice for your first Mac and welcome aboard!

I have no doubt it will do everything you throw at it and more. The new 27" iMac's look superb too.

OP
S
Reaction score
I think that I am just worried as its something new, I know Windows however I am growing tired with the ever constant errors, unexplained freezes and the general feel that all the new OS's are just repackaged old ones with the original errors fixed.

as long as the playing of DIVX, AVi and other file formats is fine then great.

What I would like to know is if there is a way of connecting my XBOX into it via HDMI, I know that I need a converter but what kind of from where.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
For a comphrensive video player checkout VLC by VideoLAN. It'll play absolutely anything!

The only way you could connect an X-Box is by using a TV Tuner, but the lag that comes with using these will make it more or less unusable unfortunately. You'd be better off keeping the X-Box hooked up to a TV to be honest...

OP
S
Reaction score
I heard there was a cable that takes the minidisplay port and allows you to plug a HMDI lead into it.

Does this exist or is it rubbish and if so, will it handle the HDMI audio as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
You will love that iMac I just got a 27" one for Christmas, I've never been so happy with a computer. It does help that my hubby has been a mac user for years and helps me with the things I can't find, but it's a beautiful, sleek, very fast and smooth machine. You won't be disappointed :) Welcome to the wonderful life that is mac :)

Reaction score
yep, you made the right choice, but make sure you make that windows partition immideately, else you might have to defrag (and all utilities that do that cost money)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I heard there was a cable that takes the minidisplay port and allows you to plug a HMDI lead into it.

Does this exist or is it rubbish and if so, will it handle the HDMI audio as well?

For a better description see this page on a review of the new iMac 27" by Ars Technica which explains the usages of this port fully.

In summary, it is limited to devices that already have a mini-display port fitted. So your limited to other Macs with the mini-display port at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
You definitely made a good choice going with the i5 27" iMac. I have the i7 27" iMac and it will do anything I throw at it. It has been great so far. It will easily run windows and it will last you a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
It can do everything you want it to and more, I just got a new 27" but not the quad core and I use it just about exactly how your guys do with no problems so your machine will be perfect for what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I want your Mac quite badly!

lol welcome aboard!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.