/usr vs /Developer/usr

Reaction score
What's the difference? I'd like to use the former for a cross-platform application that I develop on OSX and run on Linux. /usr is common to both, /Developer/usr is not. Any harm in using /usr on both?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not 100% sure on this answer but I'll try.

After looking in the /Developer/usr directory, it appears to be only apps/libraries that you might commonly find in /usr but are development related. In other words, /Developer/usr appears to contain only that which is pertinent to development. My advice then would be to stick to /usr. I've never actually seen /Developer on Linux installs as it appears to be specific not only to OS X but Xcode. Again, you might want to wait to get a more definite answer on exactly why Xcode has it's own usr directory.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've been working with /usr to see how that goes. It works fine but dealing with all the permissions issues can be quite a PITA. I'm going to try and work out a better solution for my situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
Actually, you've answered the question right there. There is a /Developer/usr because its executables allow you a little more slack as far as what you're allowed to do with them (permissions being one of the major issues). Also, it allows you to test executables easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.