wont work with battery & date/time resets to 1970?

K

kek5

Help

my ibook (approx 10 months old) won't start up with the battery, only with the power lead?!
Also for some reason the date and time keeps changing to 1.1.1970.

I am running on 10.2.6

Thanx in advance

OP
H

hokiethang

kek5 said:
Help

my ibook (approx 10 months old) won't start up with the battery, only with the power lead?!
Also for some reason the date and time keeps changing to 1.1.1970.

I am running on 10.2.6

Thanx in advance

if it is less than a year old, i would suggest taking it to an apple repair place and have them fix it. It is still covered by the manufacturer warranty, so they should fix it free of charge, unless it was caused by abuse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
when my laptop shut off during the big blackout it reset my date and time to 1970 but it was fine

OP
I

ipmedia

I've got the same problem with my iBook (600 G3) and wish I knew how to fix it.

OP
M

mac_girl

I have the same problem with my tangerine iBook.

I believe it is a battery problem, the battery can no longer hold a charge thus either will not work off of batter power alone, or messes with the date & time.

Please check on the upper-right of your screen, near where the date and time is located. Is there an icon of a battery with an "x" through it? This means you need a new battery.

They cost around $130 and can be purchased at CDW or Mac Mall, or a few other 3rd party Mac distributors.

edited to add:

From the CDW website:
"Even rechargeable batteries wear out. After repeated use and recharging, batteries simply lose their ability to store power. Under normal use, a Lithium ion battery can keep your notebook running longer on a single charge, but they may last an average of only 400 use and recharge cycles, or about a year of normal use. "

So if you have used your ibook 400 use/recharge cycles... then it may be time for a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.