13" MBP vs MB

Reaction score
searched this but didn't find anything (surprisingly).

What is the primary benefit of the new 13" MBP over the current 13" MacBook? From the specs on Apple's site, it seems that for $200 extra the MBP gives you a considerably smaller hard drive, a firewire 800 port, and the aluminum case (comparing the 2.26GHz processor versions).

Is there something in the architecture of the MBP that makes it faster/better? Same video card, same CPU, etc. Kind of weird pricing when viewed this way, so I figure there's something I'm missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
Well you also get the backlit keyboard and sd card slot. For me, the aluminum unibody design makes it worth the extra $200. If you are only looking at specs, then I agree that the white macbook is a better deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fall 09 macbook
I think I would go with the regular macbook. I like the aluminum design of the macbook pro, but I would only get a 15 inch macbook pro or a 17 inch, not a 13 inch when you can get the same specs for 200$ less

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I would go with the regular macbook. I like the aluminum design of the macbook pro, but I would only get a 15 inch macbook pro or a 17 inch, not a 13 inch when you can get the same specs for 200$ less

I agree, I think the macbook pro is only worth it if you are getting the 15" or 17" versions, that is of course if you don't need the extras that the macbook pro has.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree, I think the macbook pro is only worth it if you are getting the 15" or 17" versions.

Well not really....the 13" MBP has firewire, sd card slot and backlit keyboard which the MB does not. Plus the screen quality is noticeably better.

The 15" is really only worth it if you are upgrading to the dedicated GPU and it comes with a faster CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone
Screen quality - just as Crimson said, that's what I understand too. I am sure that the Macbooks are great machines, when I was buying my Macbook Pro, the salesman asked me why I don't just go for the Macbook a save a few £s, I mentioned the large chunk of plastic that it is, and he suddenly reassured me that it doesn't split round the edges anymore!!! I hadn't mentioned anything about edges and splitting! LOL!

Having said all that, I must reiterate that I'm sure it's a great machine, I would have one any day, even an older one if it came to it. But I do like the solid feel to the Pro... But, if you search around, they did make a Unibody Macbook for a while! I've seen places still selling them for knock down prices. Search Unibody Macbook, see what you can find.

One other important factor, and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but whilst the Macbook Pros support up to 8GB of RAM, the Macbooks only support up to 4GB. Now there's no way on God's earth that I can afford 8GB of RAM, there are solid nuggets of gold the size of a man's hand going for cheaper than 8GB of RAM, but with OSs changing and growing and Apps getting bigger and better and more complex, I like having the option to go 8GB in a future day when it's affordable for the low people like myself!!

Firewire for me is important, for audio card. SD slot is useful, but no big deal. The only real let down for me on getting a Macbook Pro is that it has only one audio port, and output that can be configured as an input if you fancy it. It does work with headphone/mic set ups like my iphone headphones, and it's true that for decent low latency audio recording you'd want an external card anyway, but I feel they could have squeezed an extra hole in there for me?!!

Please note, when I say 'unibody' I refer to the Aluminum unibody commonly found on the Macbook Pros, as the Macbooks call themselves 'poloycarbonate unibody'.

Good luck

Reaction score
I'm also trying to decide between a 13" MB vs. MBP.
I'd go with a MB because of the bigger hard drive but I have these 3 concerns:
1. It may be too soon to tell, but is there any reliable speculation or facts about whether the MB will be prone to heat damage over the long term, given that it has the rubberized bottom that may not dissipate heat as well as the aluminum MBP?
2. How sturdy is the MB around the edges of the screen? Compared to the MBP, the plastic screen edge would seem much more prone to wear and tear (remember the cracking on the older MBs). I am pleased with the sturdiness of the unibody construction of the bottom portion of the case, however, compared to the older non-unibody MBs.
3. Isn't the rubberized bottom of the case prone to excessive dirt? How easy is it to clean?

Reaction score
i had the same dilemma. Firewire not important to me, card slot not important to me. The only thing i miss about the pro is the back lit keyboard. Is that worth 200???? Thats for your to decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
i had the same dilemma. Firewire not important to me, card slot not important to me. The only thing i miss about the pro is the back lit keyboard. Is that worth 200???? Thats for your to decide.

The backlit keyboard is the only thing I really should have paid more attention to when I bought my Macbook. I saved 200 bucks and kick myself every time I have to turn on a light to type !

Clay

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

The 200 price differences isn't just for the backlit keyboard. It's also for a better screen plus the things that you mentioned that you don't need.

Reaction score
The difference is, MPC 13 inch has better video card, illuminated keyboard, and firewire port.

Obviously, the much better aluminum casing as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The difference is, MPC 13 inch has better video card, illuminated keyboard, and firewire port.

The video cards are the same and the macbook pro also has an sd card slot.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The difference is, M[BP] 13 inch has better video card, illuminated keyboard, and firewire port.

Fixed it for ya.

The graphic cards are the same on all the lower end models. MB all the way up to the 15" MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB
I'm still undecided. It's either a brand new macbook unibody or a refurbished macbook pro 13". I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm going to hold off for the next couple of weeks cause I'm not in a rush. I bought the 24" iMac right before the new ones came out and I was kind of disappointed. Not to take anything away from my iMac but I don't want to make the same mistake again. What do you guys think?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still undecided. It's either a brand new macbook unibody or a refurbished macbook pro 13". I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm going to hold off for the next couple of weeks cause I'm not in a rush. I bought the 24" iMac right before the new ones came out and I was kind of disappointed. Not to take anything away from my iMac but I don't want to make the same mistake again. What do you guys think?

I think this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook pro
well for christmas i really wanted a mb 13" but my dad suprised me by getting a mbp 13", now though i am really happy that i got the mbp because the screen is much much much better than the mb and also the SD card slot which i didnt think i would need ive already used it about 15 times, trust me if you get the mbp you'll love it just because it looks so pretty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
hey my little brother bought me the new MB as a gift since my PC went to the dark underworld. I am very happy with it. I have no problem with the keys not lighting up bc the screen is bright enough for me to type in the dark. With that being said. This is my 1st Mac and I love it. I do hate one thing tho. It collects a lot of dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
Personally i feel the Aluminium casing on the Pro is already worth the extra cost, but everything i read about the MB makes me think yeah, its a fantastic machine, but when at only £100/$200 more, the expandability of the Pro means that its worth the extra investment. If you're going to spend that much on a MB you might as well pay the slightly extra cost for the clearly better machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.