Replace start-up drive in G4?

Reaction score
I'm using a G4 Tower, 400 ghz, with a tiny 10gb start-up hard drive for on-line learning while playing training movies on G5 Imac. Each time I need to install a new program and exercise files, I have to make space on this drive.

Does anyone know if I can replace the tiny 10gb start-up hard drive in my G4 tower with a 160 gb hard drive? If so, what would I have to do to make it my boot drive? I don't have the start-up cd that came with machine, but I do have a Tiger OSX 10.4 cd (have Leopard, too, but I don't think it will install on G4). I'm aware that only 128gb of 160gb can be used on this computer, but that will be better than the minuscule space I have now. Later on, I will probably add a second drive, but right now this 10 gb is driving me nuts!

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere is room and connectors in that G4 to add the second drive, a 100 or 120 gig drive would make more sense, but a 160 gig will be fine if thats what you have.

Just connect the second drive up and it should appear, then you just have to reformat it and use Super Duper to clone the contents on the old 10 gig drive over to the new one, once done you can disconnect the old drive and put your new cloned drive in its place.

SuperDuper!

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you louischen! I just downloaded SuperDuper and will follow your instructions--thanks, again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just remember the maximum size your machine will recognise is 128GB.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, I found that out in my research. I have a 160gb drive that needs to be reformatted. Can you give me instructions on how to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Put the 160GB drive in position two AFTER setting the jumpers to slave - there is an extra connector on the IDE cable from the existing hard drive. Reboot and go into disk utility. Select the new disk from the left hand column, select erase and then format in Mac OS Extended (Journalled).

Then clone the original 10GB drive to the new drive, remove and rest jumpers to master, remove 10GB drive and slip the 160GB into the top position.

OP
B
Reaction score
Great! Thank you very much, harryb and louishen, for your clear instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.