2008 Macbook Pro startup issue

Reaction score
My 2008 Macbook pro sometimes will not startup upon first pressing the power button. When pressing the button it makes a sound like it is about to startup but then it chirps and shuts off. I have to press the power button a couple of times and then it eventually will start up. Has been doing this for a while. Any thoughts as to what may be the issue?

Here is a youtube video of it happening. If you listen closely you can hear the chirping sound.

YouTube - MOV01043.MPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your machine covered by Apple care? If so, make an appointment with the genius bar and have them look at it.

Does it do the same thing on battery and AC power?

It sounds like it's either the power switch circuitry itself or the power supply which is acting up. The "chirping" appears to be an effort on the part of the PS to start the machine. Once it gets going, you can hear the startup POST chime. I assume that the machine runs OK once it starts?

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
No no applecare, wish I had gotten it.
Does the same thing both AC and battery.
Yes the machine runs fine once it has started up.

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Synergy - I also have this same issue. My machine does the same thing with battery or PS. If I hold the power button down a little longer, I get more of a start up sequence, but it never completes.

The chirping in my machine is most definitely coming from the Hard Drive. (Opened Macbook up and put my ear right next tot the drive). Fearing a dead drive, I put this machine's drive in an enclosure and it instantly opened as a USB drive (albeit on a Dell PC running Macdrive).

I post this here in hope that more people posting this same problem might lead to a solution!

Thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
Fritznpop,

Have you tried a new drive in your macbook to see if the problem still happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have you tried resetting the SMC here

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.