Faxing withOUT a landline

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the world of Mac (15+ years of PC frustration has made me a happy convert).

Here's my issue.

I'd like to send a fax from my 15" Macbook Pro. I do NOT have a land line in my home. I only have my iPhone as a means of "dialing out."

I know that I can use one of the MANY MANY online fax services to send an outgoing fax. The problem that I have with that idea is one of security. I'm trying to conduct some banking and my bank ONLY allows faxed signature. No email accepted.

I'm quite hesitant to use an online service to send the fax and it has ALL of my bank account numbers on the document and that seems risky to me (to put that information into someone else's hands).

Is there some combination of hardware (my MacBook Pro and my jailbroken iPhone) and software that would allow me to dial out myself and send a fax from my Mac?

I'm simply trying to keep my banking info confidential and NOT use some 3rd party to send the outgoing fax for me.

I noticed several apps for the iPhone as well that will send outgoing faxes, but they all seem to require 3rd party intervention as well.

Any and all suggestions welcome!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just some food for thought, when you broadcast a Fax over the phone lines, it can EASILY be intercepted. On the receiving end, you're hoping that the recipient has the appropriate security measure to ensure that the incoming faxes are for their eyes only or are automatically converted to PDF and mailed to them and so on.

Fax, in general, is VERY unsecure..

Having said that, short of using the online service, I don't believe there is anyway of faxing out without a phone line.

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Jaguar:

Every time you write a check the recipient has access to your bank account numbers - Same thing occurs when merchants handle a credit card payment or debit. Having access to your bank account numbers is not the same as having access to the account. For that, a person would (hopefully) have to provide proper identification.

On line fax services use encryption. Look for the small lock that will appear at the top of the browser. Find out from the on line service what they do with the fax copy once it has been transmitted. Do they store them on line for a number of days? Are they destroyed after the fax has been received? And so forth.

(Intercepting a telephone call or fax requires special equipment and is a federal crime.)

Regards.

Reaction score
Why don't you just go to a FedEx Kinkos or something? Faxing is insecure by nature anyways; you're not going to be more or less secure using a 3rd party system or a common phone line.

Reaction score
To Jaguar:

Every time you write a check the recipient has access to your bank account numbers - Same thing occurs when merchants handle a credit card payment or debit. Having access to your bank account numbers is not the same as having access to the account. For that, a person would (hopefully) have to provide proper identification.

On line fax services use encryption. Look for the small lock that will appear at the top of the browser. Find out from the on line service what they do with the fax copy once it has been transmitted. Do they store them on line for a number of days? Are they destroyed after the fax has been received? And so forth.

(Intercepting a telephone call or fax requires special equipment and is a federal crime.)

Regards.
federal crime? then the feds are total hypocrites

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.