Need some help with folder actions.

M

munkyxtc

Currently I have 2 HD's, and my pictures directory is on an external [no boot drive] -- I am interested in creating a folder action so that when images are placed into a folder currently residing on my desktop the files are automatically moved to the pictures directory on HD #2 and after the move the files from the desktop folder are deleted.

Currently I drag and drop files which creates a duplicate from there I need to go into the folder and manually delete everything from the desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I think you need smart folders in tiger to do that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, but you need to know a bit of Applescript...
So basically you'd need to write a script and apply that to the Folder as its 'action'.

Sorry I dont know enough Applescript to help you do that... in Tiger you could just create an automator script to do it...

I'll try making an automator app here and see if you can use that in Panther...

Edit

Ok you still have to use Applescripts for Folder Actions, even in Tiger...
So your best bet is too open Script Editor, open the Dictionary for Finder and try to build your own...

Alternatively see if you can find a similar one on the internet somewhere (there are quite a few applescript resource pages) and modify it for your needs...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.