G5 Airport extreme card wireless problem..

Reaction score
I have an old G5 power pc running Leopard. I have wireless access in my house so I decided to buy an airport extreme card to access it from my bedroom.

I soon found out I needed an antenna to pickup the network after installing the extreme card. I checked out the apple T antenna which even second hand is stupidly expensive for what it is so I went and bought an SMA connector for the wireless antenna port and seperately bought a 7dBi 2.4Ghz antenna with an SMA connection.

I have since installed the antenna but I am still not picking up any wireless networks..? I have a pc laptop in the same room and I have no problem picking up my network.

Im totally out of ideas now I dont know what im supposed to do. Is there something simple im not doing here. Is there an installation process I need to go through with an airport utility? I didnt think there would be I thought it was pretty much plug and play.

The extreme card definitly works because I moved the G5 right beside the router downstairs and I could pickup the wireless network (this was without an antenna also)

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Ive tried connecting by going to 'join other network' and inputting the network name and password myself but I keep getting 'connection timeout' aftera few seconds?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Need to know the specs (CPU speed & if it's a dual processor or dual-core) on your computer.

There are significant hardware differences in the G5 line...which can make the answers different.

One thing you didn't mention...when you installed the Airport Extreme card into the computer...did you plug the antenna wire from the motherboard into the card itself?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Need to know the specs (CPU speed & if it's a dual processor or dual-core) on your computer.

There are significant hardware differences in the G5 line...which can make the answers different.

One thing you didn't mention...when you installed the Airport Extreme card into the computer...did you plug the antenna wire from the motherboard into the card itself?

- Nick

Thanks Nick. Its a 'Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G5' running 10.5.8. When I installed the airport extreme card I did plug the antenna wire into the card. It is definitly secured correctly. I can sometimes pickup the wirelesss network but when I try connect im just getting ' connection timeout'..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you plug in the antenna lead(leads) into the AE card correctly?

OP
J
Reaction score
Did you plug in the antenna lead(leads) into the AE card correctly?

Yes Travis all is connected correctly! Im picking up a full signal now from my wireless network but when I try connect and enter the WPA password I get 'connection timeout' still!?..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes Travis all is connected correctly! The connection timeout thing is still baffling me..

I did not see that last line in your other post.

It sure seems like the antenna jack is not working. When you move it right by your Wifi Router, does it connect and surf the web?

If you have a digital voltmeter or even analog for that matter, set it to the low ohms range and test the cable from the AE card to the Antenna Jack and see if it's working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Are you seeing this;

Click for full size

in the Menubar? It indicates signal strength but if Network is Password protected you will get connection time out when u try to join.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Travis all is connected correctly! Im picking up a full signal now from my wireless network but when I try connect and enter the WPA password I get 'connection timeout' still!?..

I'm not really sure what sort of antenna you are using...or if it's even compatible with a G5 or Airport Extreme card.

If you installed the Airport Extreme card correctly, and you DON'T have the "white T-Shaped" Apple antenna...I would recommend getting one.

Yes they are expensive...but they get the job done!:)

When the G5 desktops were first released...they had airport connection problems. That's why Apple came up with the white T-Shaped antenna.

As far as the WPA password issue...this may be something to do with your wireless router setup...and not anything to do with your airport extreme card install or the desktops antenna.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I did not see that last line in your other post.

It sure seems like the antenna jack is not working. When you move it right by your Wifi Router, does it connect and surf the web?

If you have a digital voltmeter or even analog for that matter, set it to the low ohms range and test the cable from the AE card to the Antenna Jack and see if it's working.

I dont have a voltmeter unfortunatly.. When I moved it right beside the router I got full signal and I could connect to the internet.

Just a moment ago I decided to open safari and go through 'network diagnostics' route.. I join the network enter my password and I can connect to the internet with full antenna signal for a few minutes and then it seems to drop on me..

OP
J
Reaction score
Are you seeing this;

Click for full size

in the Menubar? It indicates signal strength but if Network is Password protected you will get connection time out when u try to join.

I dont have any bars on that although when I double click it I can see the network I want to join to.

When I try connect to the network by opening safari and going through their 'network diagnostics' path when it doesnt detect an internet connection, I eneter my password and then the signal (from your image) goes to full strength.. I can browse fine for a few minutes and then it seems to drop..?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I moved it right beside the router I got full signal and I could connect to the internet.

This pretty much confirms that the antenna is the problem. Definitely get the Apple T-shaped antenna...and you should be good to go!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what sort of antenna you are using...or if it's even compatible with a G5 or Airport Extreme card.

If you installed the Airport Extreme card correctly, and you DON'T have the "white T-Shaped" Apple antenna...I would recommend getting one.

Yes they are expensive...but they get the job done!:)

When the G5 desktops were first released...they had airport connection problems. That's why Apple came up with the white T-Shaped antenna.

As far as the WPA password issue...this may be something to do with your wireless router setup...and not anything to do with your airport extreme card install or the desktops antenna.

HTH,

- Nick

Instead of buying apples expensive T antenna I just made my own which should work better considering the antenna I bought has a higher dBi than the apple one. To connect the antenna I bought to the G5 I bought a small little copper adapter that screws on to my antenna and fits perfectly in the back of the G5 where the T antenna would fit in..

OP
J
Reaction score
This pretty much confirms that the antenna is the problem. Definitely get the Apple T-shaped antenna...and you should be good to go!:)

- Nick

Do you think this would cause the intermittent signal im getting? Theres no reason why the apple antenna should work its just an antenna they all work the same way..

The antennas I bought are standard specs for wireless networks as I'd imagine the apple T antenna is also so theres no reason I can see why they wouldnt work..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.