Hard Drive Failing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Powerbook G4 17in 1GHz 1GB Ram. looking to upgrade it! any ideas pm..
i have just literally this morning upgraded the hard drive in my Apple Powerbook G4. it went from a 60GB to a 160GB... the program i used to clone the Drive Was Super Duper.
i went into disk utilitys to wipe the old disk so that i can use it as a externeral hard drive when i noticed that the new drive had an error message.
the Hard drive Was Brand new.?
any ideas on fixes?

cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What was that error message? It's hard to give you some advice without knowing the problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Powerbook G4 17in 1GHz 1GB Ram. looking to upgrade it! any ideas pm..
The Message it says in the disk utility that the hard drive has reported a fatal hardware error to disk utility. S.m.a.r.t says that the "smart data for the drive samsung HM 160HC indicates an impending Drive - Failure!.
thats all i can give
any ideas..
can take screens shots if that is more helpful?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1,1, 2GB, 60GB HDD, OS X 10.5.8
If there is any risk of your drive failing, make back-ups as often as you can. Just to be on the safe side. This is the voice of experience. >.<

Reaction score
If the s.m.a.r.t is saying impending doom, I'd error on the safe side: Believe it.

Remove the new HD and take it back for exchange.
If you have confidential data, boot of the old HD (hold down the <option> key at boot time with the old HD plugged into the USB port) and run the disk erase on the new HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.