Got my iMac G5 today!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
Just got home form school and it was sitting on the front porch. They usually just leave a note that says it could not be delivered but this time they move the swing and hid it behind there. I guess all the complaining we did when we got a couple of other things was enough to get them to leave it at the door.

The wierd thing is that the memory i ordered from newegg was also supposed to come today and that Fedex guy DID leave a note on the door.

So they will leave a 1300 dollar computer sitting on the proch but not 200 worth of memory. Seems somewhat backwards to me!!

Oh well, i am jut happy i got the computer 2 days before i was supposed to!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Thats great! I'm getting a 17" 1.8 G5 iMac, with SD and 2GB 3rd party in the next few weeks! Can't wait!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrats.

That is normal for Fedex. They tend to leave the big items, but hold on to the small items.

C

code777

yup, i custom ordered a diamond from a cutter for my girl and its valued pretty high. guess where FedEx left it... right on the front porch. Makes no sense...

oh ENJOY your new toy!!!! must be exciting.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It looks like it depends on the driver, where you might find your package.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
i am waiting for the parents to get home so i can show them all the new things with the computer.

The only thing i may have screwed up on was when i ordered the memory from newegg. I researched and came to the conclusion that the ram i ordered would fit but i opened up the back of the iMac and found the ram is very close to each other. I know the ram i ordered has heatspreaders on it and i know think that it will not fit. I would put the ram in another computer if i had one, but i don't so that is not an option.

So can i take the heatspreaders off the ram??

Guess i didn't do enough research :(

E

embries

You'll have enough room. Heatspreaders are not that large. If it comes down to it you "can" remove your heatspreaders, but I'd advise against it as many manufacturers are gluing them to the chips nowadays and you could inadvertently pull one loose.

As for the FedEX thing, you can sign a waiver and file it at your local fedex branch which will allow them to leave ALL packages at your doorstep if you prefer. Otherwise, it's driver discretion.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well got the computer up and running.

This thing rocks!! :) :) :) :)

I am going to have so much fun playing with this thing and getting it the way i want it.

Thanks for the info emdries. I hope your right!! If not i think i will give newegg a call and see if i can get a different kind.

Thanks all

I will try to get some picks of it after i get everything up and working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Just got my 20" on Monday... I can't believe how fast this thing is in Final Cut Pro for just a single processor. Plus the design is a work of art... Apple has done a great job with this product for sure.

E

EvoMac

Heatsinks for RAM take up next to no room whatsoever. I was able to put one in my mini without having any space issue at all. They should definitly fit in the iMac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats all good news to hear...see i guess. :)

Guess i will find out for sure when i get home!!

I asked my dad if he wanted to see me put the memory in and he replied, "said he didn't even want to know the back of the mac was coming off. He is peranoid that i will break something. Little does he know i have already had the back off to see how it would work.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.