Hello & help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5
Hi All

New here with lots of questions for you over time.

I am to put it simply very dyslexic and get by use cut & paste a lot but even that can be hard as i have all 3 types reading, writing & numerical.

So have used and had PC & Windows for years and just now gone over to Mac.

I have just got an 27" iMac with the i5core 1tb HD
Have installed office all good!

Tried to install my canon all in one MP600 but no luck it see's it as a printer but not a scanner have seperatly installed the scanner driver from Canon site to but it still dose not see it as one? the only way i can scan is by using image capture but dose not see it as a scanner?
Any tips welcome.

A question? should i get an antivirus i have heard so much? do's & don't bother?

Also could anyone recomend a media player that will play any kind of media file?

I also used to back up my DVD's to my hard drive on the PC as my kids destory dvd's so quickly can anyone recomend which softwear to buy?

I also used to have to run a content de scrambler to be able to do this, again any advise welcome.

Thanks for your time

Greg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you tried using preview to scan?

VLC for a media player.

Toast for DVD, handbreak, or disk Utility.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Greg

VLC is absolutely the best. Plays anything; any format.

Ripit will copy any DVD of any format, even most of those those "protected".

VirusBarrier X5 is made specifically for Macs. I cannot really say whether you should have antivirus; but this software is totally non-intrusive and doesn't appear to slow the system at all. It also scans your system for "corrupted" files. Avoid Norton. (or any others originally intended for a Windows platform and then "modified" for Macs).

Good luck. Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5
Greg

VLC is absolutely the best. Plays anything; any format.

Ripit will copy any DVD of any format, even most of those those "protected".

VirusBarrier X5 is made specifically for Macs. I cannot really say whether you should have antivirus; but this software is totally non-intrusive and doesn't appear to slow the system at all. It also scans your system for "corrupted" files. Avoid Norton. (or any others originally intended for a Windows platform and then "modified" for Macs).

Good luck. Ian

Hello Ian

And thanks for your tips, I have downloaded VLC and have not quite figured out how to use it yet.
I am finding Mac very hard to adjust to for now especially with the the backing up of movies.
PC was a breeze to Mac, I was thinking of going back but the kids insist not!
And i have not had much chance to get on there as they are!
I will look up Anti virus as well
Again thanks very much for your time
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.