I have no Line-in input available

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to mac, and I recently got a little macbook pro, the one that has the combined audio input/output jack. The problem is that I'm not able to choose Line-In as source for audio in. The only input available for me to choose is the built-in one.

I'm looking in Applications -> Utilities -> Audio/MIDI.

How do I add the Line-in input as a valid source to use when recording?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to mac, and I recently got a little macbook pro, the one that has the combined audio input/output jack. The problem is that I'm not able to choose Line-In as source for audio in. The only input available for me to choose is the built-in one.

I'm looking in Applications -> Utilities -> Audio/MIDI.

How do I add the Line-in input as a valid source to use when recording?

Hmm.... I'm not familiar with these combo jacks. You should be able to pick your input from System Preferences > Sounds

There's also a nice freebie app called SoundSource that puts an input-chooser on your menubar. You might want to consider grabbing that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I tried the SoundSource app that you mentioned, but there is still only the internal microphone to choose as input source. In System Preferences > Sound, there is also only one input available.

How does the system recognize which inputs that are available? Should I look for something in /dev ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you tried plugging in an input source into that jack and see if the option then appears?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.