May anyone install OEM builder Windows

Reaction score
If I am not a reseller of hardware, does the license allow me to use it? Or am I required to purchase a retail version? I purchased the OEM system builder's software, but before I open the seal, I am reading the license. it seems to say that I can only use the license if I am a reseller of hardware. I am not. Any thoughts?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Legally no, you are required to purchase a retail version for your case.

Regards

Reaction score
Many of us on the forum have purchased and used the OEM system builder's editions for Boot Camp and virtual machine installs. Works fine and has been recommended by many here, including the moderators.

Reaction score
I am a new memeber to the forum and I wanted to double check that the OEM version of Windows 7 before I try to install it. I want hassel free and easy to use. Can I easily do this or should i just return and buy the retail version. Has anyone had success with this yet?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are plenty of folks using the OEM version.

In years past, all of us that built our own systems used OEM copies. MS about a year ago started trying to change this and has even gone so far as to delete info around the net where they said this was OK.

I have seen as recently as a couple of months ago, MS certified folks on Microsoft's own forum say that it is ok. So, there is a lot of conflicting information happening even now from MS related to this issue.

The one thing to note with an OEM, is that once installed and activated on a computer, that copy is basically tied to that computer. You must also provide your own tech support.

If you might need to move it from machine to machine (of course only one at a time) and/or want support from MS, then the full retail version would probably suit you better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.