Enter key acting as command key

Reaction score
I've just gotten USB Apple keyboard with which I replaced my old one (http://bit.ly/8OUHHJ).

The problem I have is that the Enter key (on the numeric part of the keyboard) acts as command key?

Am I missing something? How can I fix this?

Reaction score
I've just gotten USB Apple keyboard with which I replaced my old one (http://bit.ly/8OUHHJ).

The problem I have is that the Enter key (on the numeric part of the keyboard) acts as command key?

Hi there,

Try pressing your num lock key (located above the 7 on the number pad)

Hope this helps. :)

OP
V
Reaction score
hay rottie, thx for the reply but it still ain't working. above the 7 key i have a 'clear' key. i have tried pressing i multiple times to see if the behaviour of the Enter key would change but nothing came out of it - it just doesn't function. i even tried to turn num lock on my macbook to which it is connected to but nothing :(

any other ideas?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use that very keyboard daily and have for ages now and never had that issue.

This is on a Macbook? Which version of OSX? I have a feeling a key mapping has been changed somewhere under System Preferences/Keyboard.

Reaction score
hay rottie, thx for the reply but it still ain't working. above the 7 key i have a 'clear' key. i have tried pressing i multiple times to see if the behaviour of the Enter key would change but nothing came out of it - it just doesn't function. i even tried to turn num lock on my macbook to which it is connected to but nothing :(

any other ideas?

Hi again,

Try looking on the 9-key keypad (above the cursor arrow keys) for your num pad key - It will have a rectangle with a superimposed X on it.

Other than it being the num lock key, all I can think, as another poster has said, is that you need to go to system preferences and look in the keyboard and mouse pane there.

Also, I'd check in system preferences > International to make sure that you have your keyboard set to the right country.

Hope this helps. :)

Reaction score

Hi

I am having the exact same problem.
I am using an imac with an apple usb keyboard with a numeric keypad. I have tested the keyboard on another computer an it is working OK there, so the keyboard itself is OK.

I have contacted apple support (the netherlands), but they seem unable to help. I can't find any way to remap the keyboard.

HELP..... I need this enter key badly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.